Tunnel Bear VPN getting blocked on occasion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-21 22:27:11
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211210 rel.51212(5553)

Hello,

The past couple of months I've been chasing a problem where one of my computers would lose connection to the internet, requiring a reboot of the router. I finally discovered that when the computer was connected using the Tunnel Bear VPN was when the problem occurred. The computer is still connected to LAN as other machines on the LAN can be pinged. Trying to ping the gateway or another IP on the internet will fail. Turning off Tunnel Bear still requires a reboot to allow the affected computer to reconnect. I am able to replicate this behavior with a different computer and using Tunnel Bear.

Typically, the issue arises at random intervals when browsing.  A message in the browser warns that the page cannot be displayed because the connection timed out. Running a network troubleshooter indicates that there is a problem and that the gateway/router needs to be reset, which does correct the problem.

I have activated the SPI firewall and DoS protections set on low on the router. I've also checked the "Ignore Ping Packet from WAN Port" and "Forbid Ping Packets from LAN Port" boxes, unchecking them when troubleshooting.

Tunnel Bear uses OpenVPN protocol and needs port 443 (TCP and UDP) to be open or port 7011 (UDP only). There's a secondary protocol, IKEv2 and IPSec, that use UDP ports 500 and 4500.

The computers are all using Windows 11 and the new Edge and Firefox browsers. They all use Windows Security for AV and firewall, with everything set to default values. All updates are current.

Not using the Tunnel Bear VPN has not caused any problems so far. Is there anything I can check in the router settings or do I need to contact Tunnel Bear?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 0

Related Articles