Is a modem required to connect AX11000 router to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-23 12:40:32 - last edited 2022-03-25 01:32:57
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone,

New to the community and 1st post.

Looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer.

1. Do I need to connect the AX11000 to a modem or is it a modem/router?

2. If I need a modem, is the Archer VR2100 good enough to go with the AX11000?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is a modem required to connect AX11000 router to internet-Solution
2022-03-23 23:46:00 - last edited 2022-03-25 01:32:57

@ripalive 

Short answer, yes, the AX11000 Gaming router is a router only. You need to send a signal to it from a Modem.

VR2100 is a VDSL/ADSL Modem Router combo. No need for a router with it.

ripalive wrote

Well, yes, you need a modem or another device to traslate the ISP signal to a router. Usually however, your ISP provides that, but some might charge a monthly rental fee so people buy their own.

Do you know what type of signal you are getting? Cable, Satellite, DSL, Fiber? Each would require a different type of modem.

Next question is do you know the speed from the ISP that is being delivered to you? The AX11000 is powerful router, and can deliver high speeds but it can't deliver any more than the ISP provides. You'll also require matching devices that supports those speeds.

I'd check with your ISP and see what they provide in terms of speed and modem. Many ISP's limit choices for Customer owned modems by the way. If they do provide both a modem and router, or just a modem, in both cases, you can get your own router to use, the ISP could keep the router or if it is a modem/router, disable the router so you could use your own.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Is a modem required to connect AX11000 router to internet-Solution
2022-03-23 23:46:00 - last edited 2022-03-25 01:32:57

@ripalive 

Short answer, yes, the AX11000 Gaming router is a router only. You need to send a signal to it from a Modem.

VR2100 is a VDSL/ADSL Modem Router combo. No need for a router with it.

ripalive wrote

Well, yes, you need a modem or another device to traslate the ISP signal to a router. Usually however, your ISP provides that, but some might charge a monthly rental fee so people buy their own.

Do you know what type of signal you are getting? Cable, Satellite, DSL, Fiber? Each would require a different type of modem.

Next question is do you know the speed from the ISP that is being delivered to you? The AX11000 is powerful router, and can deliver high speeds but it can't deliver any more than the ISP provides. You'll also require matching devices that supports those speeds.

I'd check with your ISP and see what they provide in terms of speed and modem. Many ISP's limit choices for Customer owned modems by the way. If they do provide both a modem and router, or just a modem, in both cases, you can get your own router to use, the ISP could keep the router or if it is a modem/router, disable the router so you could use your own.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is a modem required to connect AX11000 router to internet
2022-03-24 02:09:25

Thank you very much for your reply.

Currently using DLink 5300 VDSL2 modem/router. Great unit but after 4 years of use the wireless is starting to play up with the 2.4ghz devices. 6 months ago added some Eufy security cameras, smart lock and door bell, smart garage door - worked fine. Devices dropping wifi in the last couple of weeks and I have to power reset modem/router once a week. I'm thinking maybe it's the wireless router asking to be retired - I might be wrong. The modem is solid with no drop outs.

In AUS we have the awful NBN FTTN, 50/20 plan with max 41/13 on a good day but terrible 30/10 during peak. NBN tests revealed that max speed on the copper is around 48Mbps even on a 100/40 plan due to distance from node and corroded copper lines. Tell me about it...

I'm thinking about using the DLink as a modem only and add the AX11000 as the wireless router. We do a bit a gaming, teens social-media streaming and Netflix. Am I on the right path choosing this router?

The AX11000 guide says to enter the PPOE settings on the router. Is this correct? I thought it had to be on the modem.

Is DHCP Server setup on the modem or router?

If I keep same SSID will existing wireless devices automatically connect to the new router?

Sorry about all the questions. Appreciate all the help I can get before committing to the AX11000 at a price tag of $640 AUD

Thank you

Options
2022-03-24 16:42:04

@ripalive 

You can STILL use DLink 5300 VDSL2 to feed the router you want (more on that later).

First, who owns the DLink 5300 VDSL2? I ask as some settings need to be altered on it.

• The DLink 5300 VDSL2  must be put into BRIDGE mode, done in the Settings. With that done, it will act as a standard router.
  • The DLink 5300 VDSL2  must also have the Router function turned off, that is NOT broadcast the SSID's. Possible that is turned off when it is put into Bridge mode, I don't know if this is true or not though.

Then you would connect DLink 5300 VDSL2 port 1 to the WAN port on the router you have.  It should find the Internet signal automatically during setup. Some routers can be do Automatic Setup, and should find you need Dynamic IP as the choice.

Let's talk about the AX11000 though.

Your Speed, less than 100Mbps no matter what. So why would you require such a powerful router? Only reason I could think of is if you are running some internal servers and want fast AX speed wireless transfers to local devices?

Most if not all STREAMING (not games mind you, but Zoom, vidoe, TV, like Amazon Prime, NetFlix, to name a few only need 10Mbps down in most cases, espeically if you are not using 4K TV) used 10Mbps to work well. This assumes single use at a time, not 2 or 3 people streaming at the same time.

ripalive wrote

I'm thinking about using the DLink as a modem only and add the AX11000 as the wireless router. We do a bit a gaming, teens social-media streaming and Netflix. Am I on the right path choosing this router?

Yes, but see above, not the way you were going about  it. Your router will be both the wired and wireless router, the DLink 5300 VDSL2 will only be a Modem.

ripalive wrote

Currently using DLink 5300 VDSL2 modem/router. Great unit but after 4 years of use the wireless is starting to play up with the 2.4ghz devices. 6 months ago added some Eufy security cameras, smart lock and door bell, smart garage door - worked fine.

Are you ONLY using 2.4Ghz? Only devices that can use it? No 802.1 N, AC, or AX devices? Nothing that can use the 5Ghz SSID band? I am sure some of those above can? Do any even have the capability to use AX speed? If not, the AX11000 is 'overkill' unless you are looking at 'future proofing' for using AX devices in the future. Even then, AX device can use lower speed N or AC routers.

Also, most Residential routers have device limits... approximately 30 per SSID. Moist Residential routers also only have 1 standard 2.4 SSID (and another Guest one) so having more than 30 connected to it can cause problems of devices dropping sometimes. There are Tri-band routers that have 2 5Ghz SSID's (and 2 more guest as welll) that you could have up to 90 devices connected to it (with the right connection capability, i.e, connect to 5Ghz SSID's).

Unless you have a NEED for AX connections (and can deliver that speed in the near future) the AX11000 is overkill.

For instance, I had 400/20 Mbps service. I have 2 PC's, 2 iPads, 2 Phone, 2 Amazon Echo devices, a Smart TV, and a Roku Streaming device and a few other devices as well like a coffee port and an iWatch. Only ONE PC has AX capability. However, it did test an AX router and was not seeing ANY speed difference on that one PC, nor any difference on any other device. Until I get Fiber or much faster ISP service, I am fine with my much cheaper TP-Link A20 Tri-Band router.

Now I'm not sure you can do anything to make the 5300 be a modem ONLY? I looked here, "support_dlink_com_au/" (replace '_' with '.' please and use as a URL), select DSL and 5300 and you get to the MANUAL... and I didn't see any way to do it. It might have to be done by your ISP even or ask them to replace the 5300 with a MODEM only device.

I suggest you take an inventory of what speed you need now, and in the future, and get a router that might fit better. AX11000 seems like it it way more than you need know without knowing all the specifics, especially since the DLINK served you well in the past.

Options
2022-03-25 01:32:12

@IrvSp 

Thanks for your reply. Some very good points to think about.

Spoke to my ISP and they gave me some more info/ideas. The Dlink 5300 can be put in Bridge mode (Manual page 40). DHCP, PPOE settings etc. go on the Router.

I'm looking to future proof our needs and usage.

Glad to obtain help and advice from the community. Many thanks

Options