Internet going up and down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-23 20:46:26
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel 55485

Internet is going down frequenty for a few seconds, a minute, or even longer. Up and down all day. I have confirmed it is not the ISP. I have disconnect all extenders so only using the router's wifi. Is the router failing? Help.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Internet going up and down
2022-03-23 23:29:24

@Shiftyshift 

How did you confirm that it wasn't the ISP? Calling them?

Do you have a device that can direct connect to the Modem? If so, do it drop that way?

Are both wired and wireless dropping (you said only using wireless, but did you disconnect wired devices too?)?

Did you look in the LOG of the router to see if there was anything unusual?

When it was dropping, did the Router lights change?

Options
2022-03-24 15:16:10

@Shiftyshift After the ISP techs who were here in person and over the phone worked on it for hours, messing with the configuration, I haven't had any total failures. It was still failing while they were here. I'm thinking they logged in and changed something else but who knows. Maybe the router is OK! If failures start again I'll answer all the questions. Thanks.

Options
2022-03-24 16:03:23

@Shiftyshift 

I've had similar problems a few years ago with Spectrum. Modem just dropped out. At that time, I could see the Modem logs, and did see some problem entries, but none that matched my time of the drops. It took a few calls and visits, Normal stuff done by techs. Measurements, cable changes, etc. Next to last visit the tech swapped out the modem, to model I could no longer gain access to. Still happened, and the next visit a tech put a signal booster on my entry port in the garage. Problem solved... but I don't want it. I can't easily put a UPS on the booster. I have my PC's, modem, and router a UPS and when we lose power I used still have Interent. With the booster I lose it, no easy way to power the booster (I'm sure I could buy another UPS and somehow connect it). I asked for the booster to be removed, but I was told they would, but if I had any more problems, I'd have to PAY for the Service Call...

If you continue to have problems, might need a transformer that both boosts the signal and cleans it up, it was actually the cleanup that I needed, line was 'noisy'.

Options
2022-03-24 16:11:12

@IrvSp I just had it go down for 34 seconds. I looked at the lights on the router while it was down and they were all on. I get internet from a radio signal. There is a receiver on the roof that gets signal from a tower. It's connected to a POE which goes to the router. The ISP is pushing back saying their receiver is fine and they don't see any lost packets. It is all very frustrating. I have a UPS on everything plus now have a generator. Doesn't matter how much money I throw at it, the problem isn't solved. 

Options
2022-03-24 17:58:31

@Shiftyshift 

That could be weather related? I know people using the 'Dish Internet' can have some problems during cloudy/rainy weather?

That or I'd push back on my ISP and 'request' a replacement modem?

Options
2022-03-24 18:00:26

@Shiftyshift 

Can you test with a device connected DIRECT to the modem?

Options
2022-03-24 22:26:04

@IrvSp Actually, the tech did say they had some problems with the receivers when it rains but mine does not seem weather related. I think it is more like one radio signal being shared by multiple residences but what do I know.

Options
2022-03-24 22:28:49

@IrvSp If it starts to fail consistently I'll need to connect via ethernet to the modem to discount wifi and then connect right to the receiver. The tech yesterday did some of this but he wasn't very experienced. A little frustrating to watch. At one point he changed the router to be an access point since the radio receiver does DNS and somehow the router changed the IP address. He couldn't log in and I suggested the IP address had changed. Took him at leave a half hour to figure that out. At some point I walked away. Sometimes it is better to diagnose things yourself.

Options
2022-03-24 23:21:58

Shiftyshift wrote

@IrvSp Actually, the tech did say they had some problems with the receivers when it rains but mine does not seem weather related. I think it is more like one radio signal being shared by multiple residences but what do I know.

@Shiftyshift 

No, usually it would result is slower service, not complete loss of the service. At least that is how is should work.

Options
2022-03-24 23:27:56

Shiftyshift wrote

@IrvSp If it starts to fail consistently I'll need to connect via ethernet to the modem to discount wifi and then connect right to the receiver. The tech yesterday did some of this but he wasn't very experienced. A little frustrating to watch. At one point he changed the router to be an access point since the radio receiver does DNS and somehow the router changed the IP address. He couldn't log in and I suggested the IP address had changed. Took him at leave a half hour to figure that out. At some point I walked away. Sometimes it is better to diagnose things yourself.

@Shiftyshift 

Changing to an AP will change the IP Address of the router to be a subset of the modem... should not have been done. Just changing back to router mode should bring you back to the old IP address for the router though.

Yes, if it does NOT fail, then the problem would be the router, which I'd not suspect to be the case. That is IF you are using wired and wireless devices. Wireless only though, then it could be the router wireless signal causing the problem.

If you can, connect to the router wired with one device. Once you lose the wireless, check that device. Will give you the same info, both go out, possibly the router. Only wireless drops, then it is the router. If both did go out, then connect direct to the modem and see if it drops. Doesn't, it IS the router then more than likely. Still happening, modem at fault.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1050

Replies: 12

Related Articles