Checking for WiFi 6 support on devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-05 12:06:34
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am planning on getting this - TP-Link Archer AX90 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Broadcom NitroQAM 6600 Mbps Wireless Router  (Black, Tri Band) - from flipkart - I am on a 100Mbps speed connection.

How can I know if my devices (2018 MacBook Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, 2017 Sony Bravia TV) support WiFi 6 ?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Checking for WiFi 6 support on devices
2022-04-05 20:39:37

@anjanesh 

WiFI6 requires an AX wireless device speed rating.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max does have that speed rating and does connect using AX,. Can't say for the others, but if you GOOGLE the model numbers you should be able to see what 802.11 Wireless devices capability they all have.

Still, 100Mbps probably only needs an N speed device to get full speed. However, moving files and data across the LAN between 2 AX devices would be at the Max. speed of the router basically. If your TV is only doing streaming, 10Mbps usually is all it needs.

Options
2022-04-06 02:48:59

So what WiFi 6 router do you suggest I get for a 100Mbps or max 150Mbps for medium usage internet use @ 15 hrs per day ? No gaming etc. But streaming on TV too.

https://www.tp-link.com/in/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=5730

Options
2022-04-06 14:23:23

anjanesh wrote

So what WiFi 6 router do you suggest I get for a 100Mbps or max 150Mbps for medium usage internet use @ 15 hrs per day ? No gaming etc. But streaming on TV too.

https://www.tp-link.com/in/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=5730

@anjanesh 

I guess I should ask why do you want a Wifi 6 router?

First, your speed, both wired and wireless, will not exceed what your ISP provides. Without AX or better devices, even on the LAN, device to device, you can't reach speeds other than the capability off both devices.

What you have spec's as the ISP speed and 802.11 N speed or better will work just fine.

Just need to match the speed of your best device to the router so that might be AC or N probably in your case.

I have 400Mbps and have no problems with a TP-Link A20. Only 2 devices I have are AX, and I have used a TP-Link Deco X55 (AX speed), and went back to the A20.

All routers have 'features' and choose one that has the features you need... the A20 has External Drive support, and I have a USB drive on it for saving some files on our PC's. Also is a Tri-band, so I can keep faster devices on individual bands. Connecting an N speed device on an SSID that has AC devices on it slows it down to the lower device speed (which is really not a problem for me as I can't get more than 400Mbps anyway, but I keep our N speed devices on one back, AX and AC on the other 5Ghz SSID).

On the other hand, 'future proofing' would be something to think about.

• How long do you keep a router, either due to speed increases, or it breaks or just needs replacement.
  • Does your ISP increase your speed. Here, the ISP went from 60Mbps to 100Mbps, and now 200Mbps as the standard speed in some areas.
  • Will/does your ISP offer higher speeds you might purchase later?
  • Are there other ISP's in the area that have higher speeds you might switch too? Here, one new one has 1Gbps speed and is offering great deals as they roll out to locations.

Only you can answer those questions.

Options
2022-04-06 16:28:54

My ISP is provinding 1Gbps too but not unlimited now - there's a cap on the data. If they provide 1Gbps unlimited then yes, I'll upgrade / go for it asap.

Options