My laptop lost the connection and can not reconnect because it doesn't get an IP.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

My laptop lost the connection and can not reconnect because it doesn't get an IP.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-05 17:32:12
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.5 Build 20220114 Rel. 50176

Hi,

I am having an issue that happens at least once per week. Suddenly all the devices lost the connection, and they could not reconnect because the router did not provide an IP.

The signal is strong, but the clients can not connect anyways. 

I don't think it is related to the internet provider (The connection type is PPPoE).

Any suggestion?

Thanks

I attached two screenshots of my configuration.

f8b408c5b2a1413cbf1650bdbd98c64b

c5ee37d6250542b0a2d2e1da8635f4b2

Options
5 Reply
Re:My laptop lost the connection and can not reconnect because it doesn't get an IP.
2022-04-05 20:29:06

@cmaluend 

I am NOT an expert on this, so all I can do is sort of suggest/question your LEASE TIME...

120 minutes is basically 2 hours. Many devices only try to get the IP Address lease on power up? So that means after a 2 hour connection, the Router will disconnect the device. To get an IP Address back, you must have the device ASK for an IP Address. In Windows, in a CMD prompt enter IPCONFIG /RENEW.

I've got mine set to 1440, that is 24 hours in minutes. I reboot every day though usually.

Usually it is the device that has to ask for an IP Address, the router waits for the DHCP request even if the device had one that expired I believe.

However, if they all lost it at the same time, and all came on-line on the LAN at the same time, which would be hard to do, and at the same time they lost it, it could be the router causing it? Have you looked at the LOG (if not enabled, enable it) and see if there are entries around the time of the disconnect?

Options
Re:My laptop lost the connection and can not reconnect because it doesn't get an IP.
2022-04-05 23:41:04
I increased the value of LEASE TIME two 1440 last night. I will see if that fixes my problem.
Options
2022-04-11 18:45:16

Increasing the "LEASE TIME" didn't work. Today. I lost the connection twice.

The weird thing is, my DHCP Server is configurated to provide IP between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.199, but for some reason, my laptop got "169.254.186.216". When I set up the IP manually on my laptop, it worked fine.

I don't understand why the router is providing a random IP.

Options
2022-04-11 19:24:19

cmaluend wrote

Increasing the "LEASE TIME" didn't work. Today. I lost the connection twice.

The weird thing is, my DHCP Server is configurated to provide IP between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.199, but for some reason, my laptop got "169.254.186.216". When I set up the IP manually on my laptop, it worked fine.

I don't understand why the router is providing a random IP.

@cmaluend 

Ahh, you have a DIFFERENT problem... that little tidbit is the clue, "my laptop got "169.254.186.216".

Check this link out, https://www*globalknowledge*com/us-en/resources/resource-library/articles/where-did-that-169-254-x-x-ip-address-come-from/, (replace the '*' with a '.' as I had to do that so I could post the link, or Google "169.254") and from it:

-------------------------------

As a final thought, let’s return to the question originally posed, “Where Did That IP Address 169.254.0.1 Come From?” Many client operating systems use something called Automatic Private IP Addressing. This process assigns an IP address even in the absence of a DHCP server. If a DISCOVER message is not answered, the client picks a random 16-bit number and prepends it with 169.254.x.x. It performs a gratuitous ARP and assigns that address to itself.

The idea of Automatic Private IP Addressing is that two travelers could link their devices quickly and easily. For instance, two train commuters could play a game on the way to the city. They configure DHCP on their laptops and use Automatic Private IP Addressing on the train and then get a different IP in the office.

If you see a 169.254.x.x address, it means that the DHCP server is not reachable. The PC will not work because there is not a router to or from that PC. Troubleshoot this by finding out why the PC cannot see the DHCP server.

====================

So, it could be a number of things causing this problem?

• The ROUTER is losing the connect to the device.
  • The ROUTER's DHCP server is failing.
  • The DEVICE is disconnecting and is using Private WiFi Address and IT loses the connection as you move about and doesn't get a new IP Address (I would not think this should happen).

So, it could be a ROUTER problem. Try REBOOTING, and/or RESET to Factory and Manually redo your settings (do not load a saved configuration).

If you look at the Router Log you could possibly find a hint why it was happening?

Next, contact TP-Link support I guess and complain the router is dropping the DHCP Server on you.

Options
2022-04-11 19:50:42 - last edited 2022-04-11 19:51:56

Thank you for your answer. I think the router's DHCP server might be the issue. I am going to reset the router this weekend.

The logs don't provide any information. I only can see when I restarted the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 366

Replies: 6