What are the benefits of changing the MAIN Deco to be one other than that connected to the modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What are the benefits of changing the MAIN Deco to be one other than that connected to the modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-06 19:00:02
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 5 x60 and 2 x90 Decos in my home.  One of the X90s is in the basement where the cable internet and main modem is located, and the others are scattered around the house and backyard.  Everything works great, but I am wondering what the purpose / benefit of identifying the MAIN deco.  Currently of course, the x90 in the basement beside the modem is the MAIN.  The app suggests i can change the main Deco to another unit... does this work if the others are not connected to the modem?  What would be the benefit of changing the main deco to another?  Would doing so make the "main" a stronger wifi / throughput source?

Options
1 Reply
Re:What are the benefits of changing the MAIN Deco to be one other than that connected to the modem?
2022-04-07 03:44:40

I think the "main" Deco is just to label the one that is connected to the modem via Ethernet cable.

If you change another one as the "main"Deco, you might need to connect this unit to the modem via cable.  so It would not work if the "main" Deco is not connected via cable to modem.

As for the benefits, i say it is more like "main" Deco is the master/commander to give the order, satellite units need to execute it, not sure it is a kind of benefit.

And the main unit always has the best throughput source, unless you use Deco as an access point. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 699

Replies: 1

Related Articles