Block websites from using up internet time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-04 19:01:27 - last edited 2022-05-06 20:28:37

Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right forum for this, but we have a Deco system at our office.  We're very happy with it, but I'd like to block certain websites from using up my kid's internet time.  For example, they each have an Amazong Fire tablet, but the tablet keeps connecting to sites like "fireoscaptiveportal" and when I look at my kid's internet usage, this site is using hours of internet, even when my kids are at school and not even using their tablets.  Is there a way to block that so it doesn't use up their internet time and I don't have to keep extending it because they didn't get their usual 2 hours a day of actual use?

Thanks,

-Christian

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Block websites from using up internet time-Solution
2022-05-04 19:43:58 - last edited 2022-05-06 20:28:37

Hi @cpalacios,

From researching a little bit, it looks like that fireoscaptiveportal is either the login screen, or the device looking for an internet connection to send data in the background. Unfortunately, this is simply something that is done by the tablet to keep the information and apps up to date. 

To try and limit the amount of time in which the tablet will send this data I would recommend going into each tablet's settings and turning off the option for background app refresh.

Communications with the device could also be caused by an application being left open on the tablet. The most surefire way of preventing these from communicating with the Deco is to turn on Airplane mode while your kids are at school, or having your kids leave the tablet on airplane mode when they aren't using the tablet or the internet.

Lastly, there is a pause button next to each profile, this pause button restricts the internet usage for that device immediately. I do not know if this would prevent the tablet from using your kids allotted hours however. If you do try any of the above, I would love to hear what worked out the best for you.

Also, people in other threads have discussed the fact that your kids can extend their internet time by disabling their own internet when not doing anything requiring a connection. Such as basic programming, or installed games. 

I will also pass feedback onto the team that you would like to be able to restrict access on one device using multiple profiles. This would potentially allow you to schedule no internet access during schooldays and change to allotted time while they are at home.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Block websites from using up internet time-Solution
2022-05-04 19:43:58 - last edited 2022-05-06 20:28:37

Hi @cpalacios,

From researching a little bit, it looks like that fireoscaptiveportal is either the login screen, or the device looking for an internet connection to send data in the background. Unfortunately, this is simply something that is done by the tablet to keep the information and apps up to date. 

To try and limit the amount of time in which the tablet will send this data I would recommend going into each tablet's settings and turning off the option for background app refresh.

Communications with the device could also be caused by an application being left open on the tablet. The most surefire way of preventing these from communicating with the Deco is to turn on Airplane mode while your kids are at school, or having your kids leave the tablet on airplane mode when they aren't using the tablet or the internet.

Lastly, there is a pause button next to each profile, this pause button restricts the internet usage for that device immediately. I do not know if this would prevent the tablet from using your kids allotted hours however. If you do try any of the above, I would love to hear what worked out the best for you.

Also, people in other threads have discussed the fact that your kids can extend their internet time by disabling their own internet when not doing anything requiring a connection. Such as basic programming, or installed games. 

I will also pass feedback onto the team that you would like to be able to restrict access on one device using multiple profiles. This would potentially allow you to schedule no internet access during schooldays and change to allotted time while they are at home.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 1