Have ISP modem be DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-06 21:17:17
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20211022 rel.58866(5553)

Greetings,

Is it possible to turn off DHCP on my Archer A7 and let the ISPs modem provide DHCP addressing and the router provide the WiFi? Is it more complicated than I'm thinking it is? I know this sound like a no-brainer, but I'd really like more practiced hands to have a look at this inquiry and verify my suspicions. My ISP won't put the modem into Bridge Mode, and I think having the modem provide the router with one IP schema and the router provide the network with another IP schema is causing slowdowns.

Cheers

Options
1 Reply
Re:Have ISP modem be DHCP server
2022-05-07 00:55:19

Hi  @centre21,

The two separate IP schemas are probably causing some slowdown since it has to go through an extra step. I am honestly surprised that there was no issue thus far with connecting to sites and devices within your network. In the advanced settings for the web UI you can disable the DHCP server. As long as there is one router within the network, your devices should still be able to connect to the internet with multiple devices. Let me know if you have any issues, or if this solution works for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 162

Replies: 1

Related Articles