C4000 Config to A20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C4000 Config to A20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
C4000 Config to A20
C4000 Config to A20
2022-05-14 21:35:30 - last edited 2022-05-18 11:01:44
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I'm about to replace a C4000 with a mfr refurb A20. I'm hoping that the config file from my C4000 will load properly into the A20 and save me the hassle of setting it up. Commenst?

Options
5 Reply
Re:C4000 Config to A20
2022-05-15 18:34:44

@UpperNW 

I seriously doubt it.

Although 'supposedly' the C4000 and A20 are 'basically' the same (see https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/167246?page=1) there was come conjecture if the internal h/w was? No real answer on the Firmware either, other than it does check the model number when you apply it, so i may not allow it.

So, with that in mind, and what you really want to do is duplicate the old settings, I for one would not try it. For a couple of reasons:

• Mostly because it is quite possible if it can''t be (I assume you would be loading a back-up?) done, you might brick the router, and it may not be covered under warranty.
  • The Binary backups are easy to read but hard to determine what is in it.
  • As long as EVERY SCREEN is identical (which I doubt) it is possible that it might work.
  • Depending though on the INTERNAL coding to restore from a back-up that is. Does it read sequentially or by key value?
  • Are the Field sizes identical?
  • From the above link, the A20 has Amazon Alexa Support, the C4000 doesn't? Will that mess up the back-up load?

Your router, your choice.

Options
2022-05-16 03:36:59

@IrvSp Thanks for your input. One thing, my C4000 has Alexa support. It's v2.8; the A20 is v3.6. I take your words of caution. I think I'll just notate my settings (same for a long time) and input them by hand. It would have been easier to just load a backup, but I don't want to brick the A20 I just bought (refurb for $68). I replacing mainly to get the V3 increase in power. I running 24 2.4GHz devices (mainly Google Home, but a TCL TV and a Sony 1080), 4 % GHz, and 6 wired (which carry most of the load). The Google devices are all over the place.

Again, thanks for the input and I'm following your advice.

Options
2022-05-16 14:17:37

@UpperNW 

When I had to switch routers I always print the pages (via a Browser) of those I made changes too. Makes it easier.

CPU speed isn't not that critical, unless too many devices are active at the same time and need service from the Router. However, there is a lot of traffic possible going on you are not aware of. There is a lot of variables that go into router performance too, such as RAM speed and even the amount of RAM/Flash memory.

Hope it works out for you and you do get better LAN performance.

I've got the old V1 A20. Serves me well. However it is not the 'future'. I now have 3 AX devices, and have a Deco X55. I installed that, and basically I didn't see any better performance? The 3 devices that can work as AX speed it didn't matter as our ISP provides 400Mbps, and until I go to 1GB down, it isn't worth the switch as I'd lose my USB external drive connection and have to 'jury rig' a way to connect it again.

Usually when TP-Link releases a new version, basic performance doesn't change, although internal chips can.

Options
2022-05-16 17:48:44

@IrvSp I did screenshots on the pages I wanted and printed them. I actually undercounted my devices. I have more wireds. I felt I couldn't pass up the deal and it gave me the C4000 as a backup I can drop right in if the A20 fails.

My devices are spread from one end of a 2400 sq ft manufactured home to the other. When I bought the house, I crawled around uderneath and ran Cat5e and RG6 in PVC conduit throughout from a structured wiring box in a closet in my office (formerly a bedroom). That handles the wireds. The router is positioned in the office so the wifi envelope isn't symmetrical. The C4000 does cover the house though.

Now if it would only arrive.

Thanks for your time and input.

Options
2022-05-18 03:51:37

@UpperNW Received the A20 today. Just installed and it was a breeze. Interestingly, I picked up about 40 Mbps on Ookla, actually getting just over my 250Mbps.. I did get a different server from my ISP. Don't know if that's the reason, but I'm actually getting that increase when using the router-based test and also when I do the test from my laptop even with my PIA VPN. I like it!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 325

Replies: 5