Why can't I watch my local streaming when using router's VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-23 10:10:54
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: not sure

I set up my VPN on the router and am using it from out of home.  It is connecting fine and I see that I'm using a local IP pool starting with 10.x.x.x instead of my home network IP range of 192.168.0.x but when I try to watch local streaming channels on my cable TV provider, I get the message about not being able to stream away from my home network.  I can watch these streaming services while at home of course.

What am I missing?  Admittedly I'm fairly new to VPN and it was my understanding I could watch my local programming streaming service (Spectrum) when I'm away from home.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why can't I watch my local streaming when using router's VPN?
2022-05-23 22:51:24

@marklyn 

If I am correct, there are some applications and streaming services that have taken additional precautions to region lock specific channels. Some of these additional precautions consists of actually getting the location from the browser, rather than trying to use the IP address. There are some VPN providers that allow you to select an option that would prevent this data from being sent to streaming services. Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a way to easily prevent this data from being sent. 

Out of curiosity is it that you can watch specific channels, but you cannot watch region locked channels?

If this is the case, you might be needing to look at using your login on the applications for each channel. Meaning if you wanted to watch a game that is on BallySports, you will most likely need to log in with your spectrum provided login in the Bally Sports App.

Options
Re:Why can't I watch my local streaming when using router's VPN?
2022-05-24 05:29:47
This is mainly for my watching of Spectrum (Charter) online streaming, so all channels on my cable system. Again, if I pptp into my router through on my windows laptop, I can watch everything unrestricted. I'd like to be able to use openvpn but even after connecting, I still get the 'blocked' messages I don't get with pptn. Since it works via pptn, I'm assuming it is some config issue with openvpn?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 2