Mesh setup screwup!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh setup screwup!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh setup screwup!
Mesh setup screwup!
2022-06-09 18:56:49
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I hooked up the X60 (3 of them) to my Xfinity gateway as an AP and i was getting much better speeds across the house (150-250 megs vs 5-7 with those stupid Xfi pods). Then i unplugged the pods and all was fine. I read more about how bridge mode is preferred to let the Deco router be the sole network so i reset my modem into bridge mode, moved cables around so the first node was the only one wired to the modem, and reset everything from scratch again. Horrible speed, then tried switching back to AP mode, even worse. Desktop speeds of .33 MBps which is stupid considering i placed a pod directly behind my computer on the window sill. Then wired ethernet from pod to desktop, not much better. 

Last night did a full reset of everything again and it's now back in bridge mode with decent speed, 50 MB at the computer, but only if it's wired to the pod. Wireless still not working. Phone is getting maybe 85 in that room, up to 500 in the first room with the modem/first node. 

I can't get those initial speeds back. Did it have to do with the Xfinity pods first? The wireless card on my desktop is good, it's AX and capable of far more speed than I pay for. I get 950 and it's rated for like 2 G i thinkg. 

I screwed something up messing with settings to the "recommended setup". I've done a flush DNS, TCP reset, ip release/renew, etc all my usual wifi tricks. 

What gives?

*I had planned to run a ethernet cable on the side of my house from the router room to my office to get hard wired speeds from my splitter, but wanted to try this mesh first. I don't really care that much about phone speed. Mainly computer.*

Options
8 Reply
Re:Mesh setup screwup!
2022-06-10 23:25:23

@kmendes,

In case there is some setting that is getting stuck and then spreading to the other devices. I would recommend resetting all the devices at once, and then bringing the modem offline and then back online.  From what it sounds like though, there is a miscommunication between the modem and the router. There are settings under advanced for speed negotiation that may affect be the source of your problem.

To get a better idea of what may be causing the slower speeds, could you tell us the model of your modem and the ISP/plan speeds. Also, if you only set up the main node, does the speed issue persist? Have you tried checking the settings for the bridge mode on your modem?

Options
2022-06-12 18:08:21

@kmendes 

I did a full reset: unplug both, wait 5 mins, plug in modem, then router, then ethernet modem, then ethernet router. Right now it's in bridge mode working OK but only getting 20 Mb to my desktop which is hardwired to one of the pods. Should be much more, wireless was 150 before. 

Options
2022-06-12 18:10:37
I also enabled beam forwarding on the TP link. Otherwise settings are default, IP is automatic. Modem is the Xfinity gateway tower. XP7. Plan is 950/month. The speed on my phone is fantastic in the main room. in my office it's still better than the desktop (27 MBps, used to be 250), and that's including that my node is behind my desk 3 feet away as i test my phone right now.
Options
2022-06-15 17:56:19

@kmendes 

I had Xfinity come out to check things and they found no problem. I was going to move the modem/router upstairs but apparently the cable outlet in the wall didn't connect to the splitter at the base of the house, so it's just a dead wire which is weird. They gave me the newest router XP8 and currently I have it set up in AP mode again. Wireless to the PC is still messed up, as is my wife's computer to her cricut. So it's not just my network card. But phone wireless is great at 500. For now the PC is ethernet wired from the mesh node and getting sometimes 50-150 MBps. If i can't fix it I'm just going to return the X60 mesh system and run ethernet from the modem/splitter downstairs up to the two offices and put back the Xfi pods which was never that good for wireless but good "enough" for phone use. 

Options
2022-06-16 14:43:00

@kmendes 

So just to make sure, when you say "Full reset" you actually went into the Deco app, removed the device and did a "factory" reset to each node/pod and then rebuilt the network all over again?

Like one of the others said, you may have something that is "stuck" on one of the pods/nodes that is propegating later when they are all attached again.

Options
2022-06-18 00:13:17

@Fizzius 

yes in the Deco app i "remove network" and set it up again from scratch. I also, since the red light was on after reset, hit the reset button on the bottom to get the flashing yellow for each node. I just find it strange that it's my computer that can't do wireless, but i know the network card is good. 

Options
2022-06-21 14:36:16
How many nodes again? Can you setup just a single node from scratch and see if you get decent speeds and then rule out one node causing issues? I know a bit more involved but that is where I would probably go next.
Options
2022-06-21 18:27:39

@kmendes,

Since you have 3 of the same nodes, what happens to the connection quality and speed when you put one fully-reset node at the front of the network. Does the wireless speed increase to normal?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 750

Replies: 8