Router stops responding to certain devies after 1 or two hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-13 03:45:57
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 200316 Rel.34392n (5553)
Greetings,
After several hours of use, my router no longer seems to accept connection from certain wireless devices.   It seems some devices still work, but others not.  I have to reboot the router to get those devices working again.  Specifically, they are ESP8266 Arduino devices that I use to send data wirelessly to the router.
I do not understand why it stops working.  What could cause this and is there a fix?

I have MAC filtering enabled and I have these devices MAC addresses added to the list.
Thanks
Options
7 Reply
Re:Router stops responding to certain devies after 1 or two hours
2022-06-13 11:20:14

@WiggidyZooty 

So apparently, I need to reboot the router every hour to keep the data flowing.

Surely this is not normal?

I have made sure that no other devices are connected to WiFi other than the two mentioned above.

The data interval is 5 minutes so every 5 minutes the router receives two messages from these devices.

That's about 25 connections from the two devices per hour.

Is there a log kep perhaps of the reason the router is crashing?

Options
2022-06-13 23:45:43 - last edited 2022-06-13 23:46:16

@WiggidyZooty,

From the Web Interface Under System Tools, there is a System Log and Statistics that should both prove useful in identifying what is happening with those communications.

Is the router crashing or is the data not passing through correctly. Does the router stay connected to the internet?

Do the devices suffer the same fate if you do not set up the MAC filtering in the same way?

If the data is simply not passing correctly, there could be a misconfigured setting. Either way, I would recommend factory resetting to see if the disconnects persist.

Let me know if you see anything suspicious in the system logs.

Options
2022-06-16 12:50:25 - last edited 2022-06-16 12:51:42

@Riley_S 

Hi,

Nothing there in the logs.  The router isn't crashing, just stops passing data through.

Do the logs get emptied when rebootbng?

Does powering the device on and off with a wall timer do any harm?

I need to power cycle my router at least 4 times per day, but possibly every 2 hours it seems..  The schedule only allows one reboot per day.

Options
2022-06-16 13:44:51

@WiggidyZooty 

Ok, I discovered how to reboot the router anytime I want on intervals so that should help

Options
2022-06-16 17:41:20

@WiggidyZooty,

So I was asking some different coworkers that have more experience and knowledge about Arduino and ESP Connections, and they pointed out that the reconnect settings for ESP modules can be finicky and may be causing the disconnects. I would recommend researching the disconnect issues that Arduinos tend to have, and making sure that your devices are not affected.

One big question that could help solve this issue: Do other devices such as Smart Phones, PCs, or Wired Clients suffer the same fate of disconnecting from the router? If you are having the same disconnects with a wired connection; I would recommend contacting our Technical Support Team to see if they can help diagnose the settings that are causing the disconnects. The Forum ID for this thread is 

The US Support Page Can Be Found Here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/

Please Have The Following Information Ready to Help Expedite the Process: 

List of Devices and Models Affected, ESP Modules and Settings May Help:___

Detailed Information Regarding SEtup and Performance in the Past:___

MAC Filtering Settings:___

Forum Thread ID: 560582

Model: TL-WR940N

Hardware Version: V6

Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 200316 Rel.34392n (5553)

Options
2022-06-18 14:11:36 - last edited 2022-06-18 14:23:02

@Riley_S 

Thank you for the information.

It seems (at least in my situation) that if I reboot the router every half hour then things go better.

I did do extensive research into stalls related to the Arduino and I believe I corrected or covered them all.

I even created a special PCB to eliminate all the breadboards and loose wiring to ensure positive contacts .

I have two arduino devices sending information to the router and it's important to note that if I disconnect one so that only one is accessing the router, the process can run MUCH longer and often a full day with no problems.  It's when I turn on the 2nd device that problems arise. It does not matter which one I disconnect.

This points to a problem in the router.

When both Arduino devices are connected sSimply rebooting the router ALWAYS gets the process moving again (for about 45 minutes to an hour)

It really does seem to be an issue with congestion in the routers internal memory over time.

I just wish the reboot interval was allowed for less than 1 hour.

Options
2022-06-18 14:25:46

@WiggidyZooty 

Hi again,

I am wondering if some of the other TP-Link wireless routers have more memory than the TL-WR490N ?

I realize this one is bottom tier and was wondering if upgrading to a more expensive unit from TP-Link might help

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 395

Replies: 7

Related Articles