Google Nest and Wemo connectivity Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-13 13:06:38
Tags: #network connectivity issues
Model: Archer AX10000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20220221 rel.50072(5553)

Hi Support,

I just purchased the above router with 2 RE650 expanders.

I am switching from Google Nest Wifi to TP-Link. I was able to reconfigure most of my devices over to the new router but had no luck with the following. These devices were all working happily with Nest Wifi.

1) Nest Indoor Cameras  (it is strange that I also have the latest Nest Battery (indoor/outdoor) camera and it connected flawlessly)

2) Wemo Light switches (again, I also have Wemo smart dimmers, which connected flawlessly to the new tp-link router)

3) Google home speaker (i have a few, most of them connected but one)

Please advice, it's most frustrating that most of my cameras and some light switches have stopped working since switching over.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Google Nest and Wemo connectivity Issues
2022-06-13 23:40:04

@beri,

If you are having trouble connecting devices to your network after they were connected to another (especially one with the same SSID), the first step is to always factory reset your devices as this will clean any network information that was stored on the device. I do not know how to reset these devices, but it should be either a combination of light switch presses, mute presses, or it will be a pin hole button that must be held. 

I have known Google Devices to be finicky when it comes to reconnecting to networks, even if it was already connected to the network. This is the only reason I actually know that these devices can be reset. If I recall correctly, Google Home Minis require you to mute and unmute the speaker, and then the device will tell you it is resetting.

Options
2022-07-25 13:07:27

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your response Riley and apologies for the very long delay in response.

I have reset all devices (factory reset) in question, but they will NOT connect to the WiFi SSID. Infact, just for kicks, I enabled the guest SSID without any security requirements (i.e. no password required to connect to the  guest network). Funny enough, I could configure the google nest camera on the guest network. I have since reset the guest SSID to require a password to log in and of course, the Nest cameras have stopped working.

my only resort right now is to keep my old Google Nest Wifi router working along with the next TP router (i.e. 2 separate SSIDs / w their respective Guest IDs) to use all my devices... makes me wonder why I even invested in TP link if I had to keep the google router going.

Options
2022-07-25 18:03:51

@beri,

Sorry to hear that it still isn't working as intended.

I am really surprised that factory resetting the devices does not allow you to connect the devices to a new network. The only reason that I can think of, is that Google is saving the network information in the cloud and then using that information for the new SSID.

Is the new network on the TP-Link router using the same SSID as the previous network? If so, google may have saved the network information and is trying to connect using old credentials - This may be the reason why you can set up the devices using the guest network.

Also For Clarification, have you tried to set up the devices while the Nest Router is Disconnected from the network? Having two routers operating on the network simultaneously can cause issues such as Double NAT and may prevent some devices from connecting to the network. 

As I am not familiar with the Google Nest Wi-Fi Interface, is it possible that these devices are being bound to the router and that they need to be unlinked? I do not know if Googe binds the devices to the network to try and create a unified home.

Options
2022-07-25 18:56:41

@Riley_S 

thanks again.  Here's the delima, when I have guest networks enabled with WAP security, I am unable to connect to these above-state devices. If I drop the security from guest network and make it open, then I am able to connect to these d3evicews.

Options
2022-07-26 18:20:31

@beri,

In this case, can you ensure that the devices you are attempting to connect are compatible with the selected security type? Most Devices require WPA2/WPA3 security nowadays, and the lack of these methods may prevent the devices from establishing the initial connection to the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 5

Tags

network connectivity issues