USB Drive Letter Assignment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-19 13:55:45
Tags: #USB Sharing #Drive Letter
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Archer A7(US)_V5_211210

There is no issue with operation, more of a logistical question about functionality.

On my Archer A7, when the USB drive is attached....I use specific folder shares instead of sharing the whole drive.

What I noticed was that it is assigning it a "drive letter" of H: (which works perfectly fine).

The drive is synced between the Archer and my laptop (Win10) via USB to add movies and such, my laptop assigns it E:

I'm not sure where the drive letter H is being derived from and what I want to do is force it to X: to match my home networking mapped drives so I can use absolute paths needed for Kodi to render TV Series trailers per their spec/wiki.

I've looked all throughout the USB page on the A7 and can't find any way to change the drive letter from H to X.

Is there an advanced option or page I'm not aware off, like hidden keystroke to show more advanced settings options? 

Anyone know a way to force the X? I thought my laptop was giving it H and it was being called from there, but since it mounts as E, that isn't the case.

Thanks for any advice.

Options
3 Reply
Re:USB Drive Letter Assignment
2022-07-19 15:58:50
Drive letter assignment is a function of the OS, Windows, not the router. Search Google for how to force drive letter assignment for a network share. Probably easier than me typing it all out here. You will have to do this for each computer if you want to standardize the drive letter assignment.
Options
2022-07-19 16:22:37

@Kittmaster,

From what I can tell @pcuttle is correct in that this is a setting that has to be managed on a per device basis. There are other ways of directing Kodi to use a networked share. From my quick Google, I was able to find something in Kodi called "Path Substitution"

The Kodi Wiki Says that "[Path Substitutions] are useful for substituting an absolute path on a PC with a path suitable for Kodi to handle. Path subs work for most file and folder paths. Path subs work across local and network paths, across different network protocols..."

Rather than trying to force the router to assign a new drive letter, this may be the best option; as it would allow for the most flexibility for your files and server.

Options
2022-07-19 18:03:03

Thank you both, I will have a look at both solutions.

I wasn't aware Kodi supported path substitution, so that might be the answer. I'll give it a try later today after work.

This particular issue is very specific to Kodi and TV Show trailers (Movie trailers no issue), it wants an absolute path in V19 for it to work....some oddity with their platform where they don't look for local trailers, so I have to modify my NFO files for when it loads and then it has the path to the trailer for the TV Show series. That map letter is X on all my network shares at home....I'm replicating it for my RV where the Archer A7 lives...this way I can just transfer the files to the drive and let Kodi on my firestick tv just load up the info without any additional legwork.

Hopefully they fix it going forward since they support it in a round about way, but this is a band-aid until they do.

Thanks for the tips.

Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 671

Replies: 3

Tags

USB Sharing
Drive Letter
Related Articles