Managed switch setup and

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Managed switch setup and

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Managed switch setup and
Managed switch setup and
2022-07-19 23:03:39
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20201208 Rel.40304

Hi Everyone. Recently I purchased and setup the TL-SG108E managed 8 port switch. All went well and the only change I made was to the port going to my NAS setting it to the highest speed. 

I'd like to know if I can use an unmanaged switch in conjuction with the managed one if and when I need more ports. If so would I just connect it to an unused port in the managed switch? TIA

Options
3 Reply
Re:Managed switch setup and
2022-07-20 00:06:46

@Cyberwasp,

I have a very similar setup to yours at home. I have my NAS running into the same switch. This switch connects directly to my mesh router and joins the rest of the nodes across my house to the main router unit. Later Down the Line, I have an ethernet cord running from the SG108E to an Unmanaged four-port switch. This works perfectly to split my connection between different media devices and TVs in my living room. While this is working fine for connected devices, I always prefer to use a managed switch so that the settings can be configured from an interface and problems are potentially easier to troubleshoot.

As long as all the hardware devices can communicate and have the correct settings, you should have no problem adding additional network switches into your system.

Options
2022-07-20 00:34:13 - last edited 2022-07-20 02:37:51

No idea why but I ordered a 16port unmanaged switch that I obviously don't need yet. I mistook it for managed. Question is should I keep it or return it. I'm in a small apartment and the only hardwired devices are Nas, internet and a dvd player I use to watch movies from the NAS!

One question I haven't figured out yet. Can I set an ip address on it so it doesn't change if it gets unplugged?

Options
2022-07-20 18:19:38

@Cyberwasp,

An unmanaged switch does not interact with IP addresses at all and simply directs information down the correct channels. The Static IP Addresses are set either on the client devices, such as the NAS, or from the Router's DHCP Server. This would make the process extremely simple and allow for setups and ports to be quickly exchanged for one another. If I am not mistaken, an unmanaged switch will not even show up in the list of connected devices for a router, rather it will just be the client connected to it. 

When working with a managed switch, it is entirely up to the features available to the user through the user interface. While a managed switch will operate as an unmanaged by default, there are far more configuration options such as QoS, Port Settings, and VLANs when using a management interface. I also believe that a managed switch will appear in the router settings as a separate client device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1326

Replies: 3

Related Articles