Initial setup behind modem/router combination

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-20 18:27:34
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just bought a set of Deco X55s, and I am trying to set them up. My goal is eventually as access points, but I see the instructions say I need to set up in router mode initially. My only internet access is through a locked-down modem/router combination, so I cannot follow the standard instructions of connecting directly to the modem with a power off/restart. Can I do initial setup of the Deco x55s behind a router? If so, how do I go about that? Thank you!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Initial setup behind modem/router combination
2022-07-20 21:16:06

@Chacalnoir,

If you have a modem/router combo, aka Gateway, there are definitely ways of setting up your network to achieve the best possible experience. While you can use the Deco nodes as access points for the existing network provided by the combo Gateway, you will lose many of the features and capabilities of the Deco System, such as OneMesh and HomeShield.

If you have a gateway from your ISP, you can still use this as a method of delivering internet to your router. However, it is recommended that you remove the router functionality from the gateway by finding a setting to either disable wireless functionality or enable Bridge Mode on the Gateway. This allows you to disable the wireless system provided by your ISP, but you are still using their equipment to receive and pass your signal to your home network.

If you would still like to configure the Deco Nodes as Access Points, you should have no problem proceeding with the initital configuration steps and then finding the Mode Settings in the Deco App. I highly recommend considering using the Deco System as the main router and wireless network for your whole home as this will most likely provide a better and more stable connection for your home network.

Options
2022-07-21 01:35:33

@Riley_S Thank you for the reply. I should clarify that by "locked-down", I mean that the gateway settings are inaccessible to me. The wifi is already off on it, so the Deco x55s will be the only system providing wifi, which is good.

With respect to initial setup, you said that "you should have no problem proceeding with the initital configuration steps". The initial configuration steps say that I should power off the modem, connect 1 Deco x55 directly to the modem, and power up the system. I am unable to do that since I can only connect to the gateway, which includes a router with DHCP. So, by your statement, do you mean that I can connect a Deco x55 to the gateway, and the Deco x55 will get its address from the gateway's DHCP server, at which point I can connect via the app and finish the initial setup?

Thank you!

Options
2022-07-21 17:51:35

@Chacalnoir,

That is exactly what should happen, the Deco will always have to be set up using the Deco App before it can be changed to Access Point Mode. If I am correct, it may not even be necessary to plug the system into your network until after you have changed everything over. More information about the features that are lost can be found here: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Most Gateways will allow you to change the settings on them by logging into their IP address and inserting the credentials from your ISP account, or the default device credentials. Some Gateways even put the accounts on the bottom of the physical router. Otherwise, you can work with your ISP and the app for your ISP to disable DHCP functions or access the settings of the gateway. 

Lastly, you can always buy a compatible modem for your ISP that will give you complete control over the connections in and out of your house.

Options
2022-07-21 20:57:04

@Riley_S Thank you! I did try to set the first Deco up without plugging it in to my network. Unfortunately, the app gets to a point where it says that "It looks like Deco is not properly connected". And it either lets me try again or go to the help page. Neither lets me just accept the Deco and configure it the way I need it. I will try plugging it into my router next and see whether it can connect that way so I can fully set it up.

I understand what you are saying concerning the gateway. It is not that the ISP has prevented me from changing it, but rather that I do not own the gateway (and the property it is on), and the owners have it set up in a way that I cannot change.

Thank you.

Options
2022-07-21 21:34:52

@Chacalnoir,

If the app gets to this point, then the Decos must need to be connected to the internet to perform the initial setup, create a login for your ID, and to download any necessary firmware updates. In this case, the Decos can be set up while connected to the network, and their configuration/operating modes can then be changed after they are initially set up. 

It is very possible to have multiple WiFi Networks operating simultaneously on the same Modem Connection, however, this will cause connectivity issues when trying to access a device other than those connected to the router, or when you try to connect to the internet.

Options
2022-07-22 17:10:48

@Riley_S It is working now. Thank you for your help. A couple of notes I learnt from which others may benefit:

1) If you do the initial setup by plugging the Deco into a router with DHCP running on it (e.g. a gateway that is a modem/router combination), the Deco detects the internet connection as dynamic IP and handles it fine. I was able to do this without restarting the gateway. So, the setup appears to be more flexible than the instructions state.

2) During initial setup, make sure you do not have a VPN running on your phone with the Deco app. Otherwise your phone will likely not find the Deco. Only 1 of the help screens mentioned this (and it is not the help screen that comes up when your phone is unable to find the Deco). Once things are set up, the VPN doesn't cause an issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 542

Replies: 6