Do I Need A New Gateway; with a new AX1800 kit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-21 21:34:55
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I could use some help.  Yes, this post is a bit long, but it helps explain what I need to accomplish.  I am hoping the information will gather advice on whether I am short on a device I need to buy; or if I bought the wrong mesh system, and send this kit back.

Short: Can I buy a new Router/Modem/Gateway to replace my Xfinity rental unit; that will allow me to use it as the main connector to the Internet, and the 3) X20 units as the main wireless system that most every device uses.  This new unit will need to allow me to install ExpressVPN and devices that must use a VPN go through it with a separate SSID from the other devices.

What I want to do is have a WiFi Router, and/or Gateway?, that will allow me to separate some devices to use a VPN (ExpressVPN) based on the router chosen, and preferably I can control what SSID and unit to connect to.  I need to utilize regional servers that may or may bot be i the current country.

Currently: I have a Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway (XB6)

I have purchased this week the TP-Link Deco AX1800 Mesh kit with 3 of the X20 units.  The kit seems perfect for what I need with concrete walls, ethernet backhaul availabilty; but I do not see how to place ExpressVPN on an individual X20 unit; and for that unit to use the Assigned VPN for all who connect here (and only those devices)

The more I read, it seems that if I was to switch out the Xfinity XB6 unit, with a new replacement; I would get the functionality that I need?  That is the ability to add ExpressVPN to the new Router/Modem/Gateway, but I don't know if is selectable as i only certain devices need to go through it.  Only 3 devices need to find a region out of country at one time, the other devices need to stay put in their current settings.  In my head,

I somehow thought that I would just pop into router, setup 3 IP assignments to the 3 devices, open up some kind of VPN with ExpressVPN somehow installed; and then those 3 can be using the VPN and the connection can be changed for just those 3 whenever the need arises.  But I haven't did tweaking of routers in a few years. :-)

I thought the kit I purchased, being a newer mesh system and a hgher price tage than generic routers; that I would have the ability to tweak and configure, but I am not seeing it with these X20 units.  I have no problem keeping this kit for the functions it has that I do need; and replace my existing Xfinity unit; but I do not know which one will work with this kit I bought, or if it is even possible with this kit and I need a different kit.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Tim

Options
4 Reply
Re:Do I Need A New Gateway; with a new AX1800 kit?
2022-07-22 17:25:32

Hi  @PapaGnome,

I am tagging @David-TP here, as he will be able to provide a more accurate and in-depth answer regarding how to use our advanced features, but I will help with what I can.

Suppose you are not using the wireless functionality on the Gateway (Modem/Router Combo). In that case, the device essentially operates as an old-fashioned modem that everybody had before Gateways were popular. At this point, you know that it is possible to replace that link in the chain with a compatible modem. Depending on your ISP and Service Plan, you can then purchase a compatible modem using the correct standard (Often Docsis 3.0 or 3.1). Depending on the features and technology, these can be found for $50-200. 

However, Please Read The Notes on this FAQ: How to Configure PPTP/L2TP VPN Connection on the Deco

I believe that you may want to configure another device to manage your VPn, and then pass the traffic through that device, and use the VPN passthrough settings.

In regards to the VPN, I think that the best way of setting up a system such as this is to potentially use the Port Forwarding Rules for the Devices you want to connect. I will work with my system a bit tonight to see if I can figure out the VPN options.

Similar Functionality may be able to be achieved by using a Managed Ethernet Switch with a VLAN; however, this is WAAAY above my head.

Options
2022-07-22 18:01:15

@Riley_S , Yes, I think you get it.  If I run a modem replacement, it will take the feed from outside into house; yet be in a passthrough situation. then if I get a separate router that can accept a VPN setup within it, that would be the combo setup.  However, if I was to find a Combo Router/Modem that can take the feed, allow for the AX1800 kit to work off of it on a separate SSID, that would be just fine.  As long as I can have 3 units use a configurable router that allows me to install the VPN for those 3 units, we can make this work; I think. :-)

The issue is having a router that can have a certain VPN installed into it, and that router will take the 3 units (Smart TVs)  that need to have it's use.  Software and separate SSIDs can be used to handle the rest; for which I do like what I think this kit (AX1800) can accomplish for everyday home usage in a concrete house.  

Should a new 'gateway' be used with this kit, and it offers 2 incoming feeds; that would be ideal. :-)  I did get a recommendation for an Asus RT-AX86U, but I haven't determined if it really does allow my VPN to be installed on it or not; and it looks like it would be router only portion, and would still need to get a modem.  However, I would like to check if TP-Link recommends any particular make/model to work with their mesh kits.

Thank you for pitching innto the conversation.

Tim

Options
2022-07-22 20:53:52

An update: I contacted ExpressVPN, and determined what router is flashable to be used with their VPN.  I found a router compatible, and it just so happens to have an accompanying combo deal for a modem.  So I can swap out the rental Xfinity combo gateway, and replace with an Arris Cable Modem and  the Asus RT-A86U Flashable Router as separate controlled units in the setup.

Then I can attach this new AX1800 mesh system with X20s for the majority of the devices, into the new Asus Router as the main determination of who uses the VPN, and who can passthrough as needed.  Not having seen the router software and configuration options, I can't be sure what will be the final product layout.

Gear to arrive Sunday, so by Monday maybe I can post an update.

Tim

Options
2022-08-05 04:16:20

Updated after setup.  I was not able to put the VPN on the router I purchased, so decided to hook up the new mesh with the same SSID and Password; and that brought everything up to speed and working.  Placed the 3 units in various places around the house to get coverage on the porch, patio, front workshop, and the whole house.  Seems to work nicely.

For the VPN, I have opted for software based on devices that need it now, and when I move and need to switch them, I will get whatever router at that time will work with a vpn as my front end, and plug the Deco main into that.

Thanks for the discussion on this.

Tim

Options