HomeCare vs HomeShield

HomeCare vs HomeShield
HomeCare vs HomeShield
2022-07-22 06:40:45
Tags: #homecare
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

What is difference between HomeCare and HomeSheild?

I think HomeCare is free

Can I use HomeCare with my Ax55 router?? if not, which routers are supported by HomeCare?

Options
19 Reply
Re:HomeCare vs HomeShield
2022-07-22 17:29:17

Hi  @Madhav,

Rather than me trying to explain everything, here are the links to the pages offering the feature sets for each option and the compatible systems. 

HomeShield: https://www.tp-link.com/us/homeshield/

HomeCare: https://www.tp-link.com/us/homecare/

Let me know if you have any further questions after taking a look at these pages.

Options
2023-01-05 05:51:46

@Riley_S Why some feature that is available freely in HomeCare like time limits under parental control, when in HomeShield is now under pro version that require a ridiculous price? 

Options
2023-01-05 17:59:10

@TWC50,

The two services were operated by separate security companies; the shift to HomeShield allows our teams to develop more in-depth features and functionality, all the while increasing the security of the device. We always welcome feedback of what should and should not be behind the paywall. There are a lot of features that are included with Pro Subscription that many people do not realize, such as Real-Time IoT Protection;  DDoS attacks and port scanning protection; time awards, Offtime/traffic Statistics features.

Keep an eye out for announcements regarding HomeShield in the near future, as I have been pushing request after request through to the project team.

To help gauge the sentiment if you don't mind

What features of the service do you think should honestly be moved to the free tier?

What price do you think the service is worth?

Are there certain features that you believe should remain in the Paid Tier?

Options
2023-01-06 07:50:14

@Riley_S, for me the parental controls were why I bought, what I thought was an x60 with homecare, but ended up getting the V3.0 with homeshield.

I'm looking to buy a single v2.0 to make it a master and the existing 3 x60s as satellites...a lot of extra money to "downgrade".

Wish you provided an option for customers to downgrade firmware.

Vas

Options
2023-01-06 17:34:33 - last edited 2023-01-06 17:35:46

@KnobbyVas,

I believe that the Homeshield service is tied to the hardware version, not the firmware version, so a firmware downgrade would still not show HomeCare. I would recommend checking out the video from CES about the new HomeShield 3.0 service, which is bringing far more finite control over the devices on your network. HomeShield 3.0 Video Link. This will most likely bring the features you are looking for, plus a thousand more. 

What were the specific parental control features that you were looking for/expected(time of use, site blocking, scheduling)? I may still recommend to the team to move specific features to the free tier, if it seems to be expected as a free feature.

Options
2023-02-02 09:11:32

@Riley_S 

I have a cheap budget router AX1500. In the default parental control, I can freely set the time when access is allowed or denied for each hour of each day of the week separately.

Now I bought the more expensive AX72 and the parental control are very limited on the free plan. You can set only one bedtime, that is the same for all days. 

So I bought a more expensive router, hoping that it would only get better, and as a result, I received less protection for children.

Weird.

I'm thinking of returning the AX72 back to the store.

Options
2023-02-02 17:27:50

@BartBart,

Most of the HomeCare services have been phased out in favor of the more flexible and secure service provided through HomeShield. The features provided in HomeShield are far beyond what the HomeCare Services could provide; and serves add many additional protections that were otherwise unguarded under HomeCare.

The HomeShield Service is also about to receive a MAJOR update that brings even more parental controls and network restrictions for both clients and the network. One of these updates is actually the ability to establish multiple bed times, and periods of downtime throughout the week differing by days.

You can see a comparison of the current features for each plan here: HomeShield Splash Page

Are there any other specific features that you were expecting to see in the free tier of Homeshield? I can pass this feedback to our team to help them make decisions on how to organize the tiers and features.

Options
2023-03-12 11:08:16

@Riley_S 

hi there, new to this forum and to the tp link range. I have just purchased the deco X55 3pack and must say so far very impressed with the ease of setup and also great connectivity BUT as others have mentioned I am a little disappointed that I need to pay for a subscription to control anything that is "time" related and as I understand, free with the less superior devices on the homecare. 

I understand maybe the filtering and blocking of websites may be a subscription base but for me id like to see all time related options free.

Options
2023-03-13 19:08:48 - last edited 2023-03-13 19:09:09

Hey @gtaugh,

Are you talking about the time control features found under Parental Controls? There are a few different time-based features found throughout the interface now, such as LED control, or the wifi scheduling featuring just starting to arrive to models.

There are a lot of other protection and security features that were added to HomeShield from HomeCare, such as IoT Protection, and Real-Time Protection.

I do know that there are a lot of developments being made to HomeShield in the next few months, so now is definitely the time to make requests. Our team has always been interested in knowing what features you feel should be moved to the free tier, so I would be more than happy to forward the request to the team.

Options
2023-04-08 21:48:09

@Riley_S I currently have a system of 6 M9's for our home and garden, and they've always worked beautifully.

I've been considering swapping them out for X95s, due to wanting to make use of Wifi 6, but this Homecare vs Homeshield debate is exactly why I can't bring myself to upgrade yet.

The parental controls in Homecare have been perfect for our large family; setting blocked websites, categories based on age, and weekday / weekend bedtimes has been SO useful, and that's before we've touched on the antivirus and other protection that's all included at no extra cost.

Homecare is excellent!

I don't mind having an option of adding ADDITIONAL features for an optional subscription, through Homeshield, but the idea of upgrading to newer Deco hardware, only to lose the features that I already have and love...?

It's a deal-breaker for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3926

Replies: 19

Tags

homecare
Related Articles