Old laptop won't connect to WiFi.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-05 19:00:33
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 build 20220401

Host, CenturyLink, upgraded my DSL. In the process of reconnecting my TP-Link router, I updated the router's firmware. I tried re-setup in bridging/PPOE mode, and my smart phones connected to internet, but my computer would not. I followed a YouTube fix posted by TP-Link, but it basically told me to fiddle with my laptop's internet addresses until it works. With dynamic addressing going on at my host, this requires constant fiddling - not a good option. I chose to not connect in bridging mode, so I can use WiFi and Ethernet on the host modem for my laptop. What other options do I have?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Old laptop won't connect to WiFi.
2022-08-08 17:50:59 - last edited 2022-08-08 17:51:31

@Tateski,

Hi there are definitely different options for reconnecting your computer.

To start the process, I would recommend disabling the network adapter on your PC and then reenabling it. Then make sure that you have forgotten the network in your Windows Settings. (optional - one of my favorite fixes is to open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release then after it is done, typing ipconfig /renew - This resets the adapter and IP addresses.)

If this still does not remedy your problem, try to assign a Static IP address on both the router and the Windows PC. This will ensure that the two devices will always communicate with the same IP address. Also Make Sure that your laptop has a compatible network card for your new internet.

Options
Re:Old laptop won't connect to WiFi.
2022-08-08 18:34:55

@Tateski 

Also check to make sure the drivers are up-to-date for your Wifi device on the old laptop.  You may even want to consider investing in an inexpensie USB Wifi adapter if your laptop is really old.  This may fix issues and even improve Wifi performance on that laptop.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 407

Replies: 2

Related Articles