significant loss of bandwidth when router is linked to TP-Link account

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 14:32:41
Tags: #bandwidth
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220316

I have 1 Gb/s up and down bandwidth with Google Fiber. What I've noticed is that as soon as I link my router to my tp-link account (i.e. it becomes a non-local device), the wired ethernet bandwidth drops by 25% or more, to about 650-750 Mb/s in both directions.

I have verified this several times; it's perfectly repeatable. Is this unavoidable?

Options
5 Reply
Re:significant loss of bandwidth when router is linked to TP-Link account
2022-08-08 15:53:41

@thersites 

What are your speed tests like when your router is not logged into TP-Link account?  The speeds you are reporting seem pretty typical as the 1Gb/s are theoretical speeds and you would rarely see speeds approach that.

Options
2022-08-08 16:31:14 - last edited 2022-08-08 16:31:33

Actually, using fast.com, I consistently see 1.1 Gb/s down and about 900 Mb/s up when the router isn't linked to my account.

Options
2022-08-08 17:11:47

@thersites,

Have you tried to change any other settings after you link the account to your TP-Link ID? I would be curious to see if the DNS server is changing when you tie this to your ID. Does the issue happen when using other Speed Tests, such as Ookla or Google's?

I would recommend going through and saving the settings of the non-tied configuration and comparing it to the configuration that is applied when you link your TP-Link ID. Also, Check to see if a QoS Setting is Causing the slowdown. 

Otherwise, I'm sure our engineers would love to have more information regarding your setup and any non-standard messages in your default logs.

Options
2022-08-08 17:17:47 - last edited 2022-08-08 17:22:32

@Riley_S I'll try, but since you're apparently with TP-Link, the obvious question is how much bandwidth is being used by the link to TP-Link's servers. Is it substantial?

I'm seeing 935 Mb/s up / 945 Mb/s down with Google Fiber's own speed test and no linking.

Options
2022-08-08 18:28:25 - last edited 2022-08-08 18:30:13

@thersites 

I doubt TP-Link is eating up any signifigant B/W.  It is curious what you are seeing though.  If you are familiar with tools like Wireshark, you may be able to monitor how much traffic that connection is creating.

I am not certain that DNS settings would change speed tests but you can always manually assign the DNS servers to Google's in the router to see what happens.

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

The only other things I can think of is The TP-Link cloud connection is routinely collecting diagnotics, at a less than efficient rate, "interfereing" with the speed tests. Out of curiouity, I will try doing speed tests with and without cloud login and see what kind of difference I experience.  If I see a noticeable difference, I'll see what I can observe with Wireshark and other B/W monitoring tools.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 393

Replies: 5

Tags

bandwidth
Related Articles