TL-SG105E Ports 3-5 not functioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 18:28:26 - last edited 2022-08-15 18:48:37
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm not a network expert, so apologies if I include too much or too little information.

Ports 3-5 on my TL-SG105E don't appear to be working. Here's what I'm trying to do: I would like to set up a second wireless router attached to the TL-SG105E switch for improved wireless coverage in another part of my house.

Here's my current setup, which has been working well for years:

Fiber internet -> Optical Network Terminal (from CenturyLink) -> Port 1 of the TL-SG105E. Port 2 of the TL-SG105E goes to my TP link Wireless Router Archer AX50, which supplies my PPoE credentials to CenturyLink.

I'm trying to plug in a Netgear Wireless Router into a third port on the TL-SG105E. I've tried ports 3, 4, and 5, and none of them work. When I plug in my Netgear router into Port 2, it works great. When I plug this router or the Archer AX50 into ports 3, 4, or 5, neither router works. Interestingly, the TL-SG105E config page shows ports are normal and working, and the green light begins flashing normally when plugging a router into ports 3, 4, or 5.

I've cycled the power to the TL-SG105E. I've disabled ports 3, 4, and 5, and re-enabled them through the config page at 192.168.0.1. I did loopback tests from ports 2-3, 2-4, and 2-5 and got flashing lights each time.

Is there a smarter way to configure my home network? Such as putting the second (Netgear) wireless router into access point mode and plugging into a port on my Archer AX50?

Thanks so much in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG105E Ports 3-5 not functioning-Solution
2022-08-13 03:43:16 - last edited 2022-08-15 18:48:37

@Riley_S

To close the loop...after much head-scratching...

It turns out that the network switch was actually performing a vital function, which explains why the other ports on it didn't work. For port 1 and 2 I had configured a VLAN for the PPPoE. So no configuration would work except the one I had set up. Hooking the router directly up to the ONT wouldn't work, for example, without VLAN tagging.

So in the end, I kept the switch in place, using the Archer AX50 in AP mode in a good broadcasting location. The Netgear router is supplying the PPPoE credentials, extra ethernet ports, and a wifi signal to the corner of the house. Another option since the Archer supports VLAN would be to turn that on and use that for the PPPoE, with the Netgear in AP mode, but I wanted the better wifi router in the better location in the home.

Fiber -- ONT -- TLSG105E Switch VLAN tagging -- Netgear router -- Archer AX50 router in AP

Thanks for your help!

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-SG105E Ports 3-5 not functioning
2022-08-09 16:29:23 - last edited 2022-08-09 16:29:57

@foil,

You have 100% the right idea when it comes to configuring your second router to operate in access point mode off of the Archer AX50. By placing your network switch between your router and modem, you are effectively trying to create two separate networks using the same Public-Facing IP Address. This means that there is conflicting traffic as the two routers are trying to send information down the same pipeline without communicating with each other.

The best thing that you could do in this situation is to move the networking switch to after the AX50. You can then connect the Netgear Router to the Archer AX50 or the network switch's new location. Then, configure your Netgear router to operate in Access Point Mode, or research advanced configuration settings with Netgear Support.

New Setup

Fiber internet -> Optical Network Terminal (from Century Link) -> Port 1 of the TL-SG105E. Port 2 of the TL-SG105E goes to my TP-link Wireless Router Archer AX50, > TLG105E > Netgear Router

Let me know if you are still having difficulties, or would like some different options for configuring your network.

Options
Re:
2022-08-10 19:08:51

Thank you. I appreciate the thoughtful answer.

I don't recall why I set up the network in this fashion 5 years ago. Looking at it, with the ONT - Switch - Router configuration, it appears to me the switch is merely a pass-through that could be accomplished with a single cable. Is the switch performing any function at all?

My second question before I start tearing everything apart: why place the switch between the routers? Why not do this, as you mentioned:

ONT - Router - Router  .. placing the second router in Wireless Access Point mode?

What benefits does the switch provide when placing it between routers?

Again thanks so much for your help!

Options
Re:
2022-08-11 22:52:09

@foil,

You are correct, the switch was operating as a passthrough for the modem and router. There is no need to have the switch.

You do not need to have the switch after the router; this simply would provide you with additional ethernet ports to work with. Like if you wanted to add multiple access points or wired signals directly to the router. This is how I have my mesh network setup at home. This way each mesh node can have a wired backhaul directly connected to the main router. By all means, connect without the switch and then you can add the switch into the configuration when you need the additional ethernet ports

Options
Re:TL-SG105E Ports 3-5 not functioning-Solution
2022-08-13 03:43:16 - last edited 2022-08-15 18:48:37

@Riley_S

To close the loop...after much head-scratching...

It turns out that the network switch was actually performing a vital function, which explains why the other ports on it didn't work. For port 1 and 2 I had configured a VLAN for the PPPoE. So no configuration would work except the one I had set up. Hooking the router directly up to the ONT wouldn't work, for example, without VLAN tagging.

So in the end, I kept the switch in place, using the Archer AX50 in AP mode in a good broadcasting location. The Netgear router is supplying the PPPoE credentials, extra ethernet ports, and a wifi signal to the corner of the house. Another option since the Archer supports VLAN would be to turn that on and use that for the PPPoE, with the Netgear in AP mode, but I wanted the better wifi router in the better location in the home.

Fiber -- ONT -- TLSG105E Switch VLAN tagging -- Netgear router -- Archer AX50 router in AP

Thanks for your help!

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-15 19:08:13

@foil,

Just as an FYI, you have now sent me down a rabbit hole of researching how residential users need or use PPPoE, as I do not have much knowledge about configuring networks with this. I am currently looking at the different features that our routers offer and if they would apply to your situation.

Out of curiosity, what causes you to have to use the PPPoE on a VLAN on the Switch? Is it a limitation of your ISP?

Talking with my team, it seems common that the credentials for PPPoE are most often used with the router instead of a switch. If you can configure the network without the switch and with the Archer as the first step, you may be able to use the additional ethernet ports or switch to distribute the signal through your house. This might increase the stability of your network as you would have a more powerful device managing your VLAN and one less step for ALL of your traffic to pass through. 

Options
2022-08-17 18:53:16

@Riley_S Ha!

Googling around, it seems like PPoE with VLAN tagging is at least somewhat common with ISPs offering fiber. I have CenturyLink. They wanted to sell me a "modem"/wireless router, but my home already had an optical network terminal so I used the switch as an inexpensive workaround (at the time I didn't have the Archer router which supports VLAN--my old Netgear router does not).

Now that I have the fancy Archer (thanks Wirecutter), I did test it in the following configuration, and it worked:

ONT (Calix 716GE-I) - Archer (VLAN tagging 201, PPPoE) - Netgear router

But--I want the Archer in the center of my home (it seems to have better transmission than the older Netgear router), and the ONT is in the corner, which is also near our desktops and printer. I'd have to run back a second 75' run of ethernet cable to put the router and switch near my desktops.

But, you said: " This might increase the stability of your network as you would have a more powerful device managing your VLAN and one less step for ALL of your traffic to pass through.  "

Can you go into more detail on this? Would my speeds be increased? Would security be increased? What quantifiable improvement would be gained by using the router to supply the VLAN aspect instead of the switch?

Thanks again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 952

Replies: 6