Deco M9+ Device Limit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9+ Device Limit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9+ Device Limit
Deco M9+ Device Limit
2022-08-12 13:02:15 - last edited 2022-08-15 01:14:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I’m approaching the advertised Deco M9+ device limit of ~100 devices.  We have 3 nodes. Currently, there are 93 devices online. Most of them are smart devices or cameras that sit idle much of the time.  There is just 2 of us in the house so not a lot of simultaneous use. The DHCP range is ….68.100 thru ….68.250 so 150 IP addresses of which 116 have been assigned.   I haven’t been able to find any good information about what these device limits really mean and what technically drives the number (e.g. router CPU, assignable IP addresses, Wi-Fi limits).  

Some questions:

1)  Is this a theoretical device limit more for marketing purposes or an actual limit where performance will degrade or devices won’t connect solely based on the number of devices the router is trying to manage / keep track of?

2)  Is the device limit for the entire 3-node mesh system or per node?  

3)  Is this device limit for Wi-Fi connections and not applicable to devices connected via ethernet?

4)  Is the device limit more about how many simultaneously active devices there are?

Thanks….

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ Device Limit
2022-08-12 14:14:38 - last edited 2022-08-15 01:14:22

@Dawgfan 

More than likely, that device limit advertised is based on average usage statistics of a typical home device.  The limit is likely derived from the ability of the routers processor to effectively route traffic for a large # of devices with average bw consumption.  So, if most of your devices are low bandwidth and do not demand too much "attention" from your router, the IP address space is likely to be your limit.  With efficient management of your DHCP pool, you should never run out of IP addresses. With a simple change in your subnet mask for the private network, 255.255.0.0, you could have over 65k addresses available.  However, I think that 254 usable addresses is more than enough :).  I hope this makes sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 1

Related Articles