Tether app requires local network permissions but no option exists to grant it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 12:40:35 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:13:12

Hello.  Downloaded the Tether app, and am immediately prompted with "Local Network Permission Needed" with a button to "Go To Settings".

I'm very familiar with this and am fine with granting it, however there's no actual option to grant it.  In Tether settings, it only has options for "Siri & Search" and "Language".  When I go directly to "Local Network Permission" settings under "Privacy", Tether doesn't even appear as an app that's requested it.

I saw another thread about this (albeit regarding Kasa, not Tether, but same issue) and they were directed to a FAQ here, which shows screenshots that simply don't exit: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2937/

I also saw another thread where someone said "it probably already has it, you can check directly in the "local network permission" on the phone and the app will already be there", however I did that and the app does not even appear.

I'm on IOS 15.6 on iPhone 11 Pro, and the ability to grant local access simply isn't there for Tether.  I had no issue doing it with Deco.  Reinstalled and rebooted.  Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tether app requires local network permissions but no option exists to grant it-Solution
2022-10-01 12:55:13 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:13:12

@ParmaJohn   @R5Ryder 

Not sure if you guys are still stuck, but I found a workaround.  I deleted the app and reinstalled and as you have observed no "Local Network" prompt appears and the setting is not added to the app options.  In my case the app did appear to work OK but that might have been residue from the previous working install.

But in order to force the app to prompt, I

• closed the app, turned off wifi, fired up the app - it couldn't find my extenders. 
  • closed the app, turned on wifi , fired up the app and sure enough it prompted for local network access and the option for local network access now appears in settings.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Tether app requires local network permissions but no option exists to grant it
2022-08-15 19:13:59

@R5Ryder,

Thanks for Reporting this, I will look into potential solutions, however, my first thought is that this permission might only be able to be granted while connected to a wifi network. Otherwise, you may be able to force the app to request permission by navigating through the Tether App and finding a setting that would require this permission or a location. This may force the app to request permission again.

Otherwise, I would recommend going into your phone's settings and deleting all the data and documents associated with the app before then uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I am thinking that the phone is storing a cache of the settings that are being applied whenever you reinstall the application.

Options
Re:Tether app requires local network permissions but no option exists to grant it
2022-08-16 00:30:17

@Riley_S Thanks. I did try while on WiFi, but chances are you're using this app to set up a new router, which means that you don't yet have WiFi. I cleared the data and re-installed and still don't see the option.  My new router comes tomorrow (I was trying to get ahead of things with the app) so I'll see if that forces it to allow for that setting, but as of now, I don't see anything in the app or phone settings that allows it to be turned on.

Options
2022-08-17 11:15:48 - last edited 2022-08-17 11:16:30

@R5Ryder Apologies for butting in but noticed your pos and I know you want to be all set for your new router.

If you are on an iPhone, have you looked under Setting and scroll all the way down till you find Tether - not the Siri submenu or the Privacy submenu, but simply the Settings main menu all the way to the bottom till you find the entry for Tether.  That's the only place where I see "Local Network" for Tether.  And it if isn't in that long list, then try deleting and installing the app and checking again.  Sounds like the Tether app might be jumping to the wrong place in Settings which isn't helpful.

Options
2022-10-01 12:13:39

@R5Ryder Same problem with Tether app on IOS 16.  Quite simply, Tether has no Local Network permission option under the app settings. Many other apps, like Skype or Netflix, do have the permission option. 

Options
Re:Tether app requires local network permissions but no option exists to grant it-Solution
2022-10-01 12:55:13 - last edited 2022-10-03 17:13:12

@ParmaJohn   @R5Ryder 

Not sure if you guys are still stuck, but I found a workaround.  I deleted the app and reinstalled and as you have observed no "Local Network" prompt appears and the setting is not added to the app options.  In my case the app did appear to work OK but that might have been residue from the previous working install.

But in order to force the app to prompt, I

• closed the app, turned off wifi, fired up the app - it couldn't find my extenders. 
  • closed the app, turned on wifi , fired up the app and sure enough it prompted for local network access and the option for local network access now appears in settings.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-09 23:37:06

@Riley_S I am having this same issue - I am not getting prompted for the permission and therefore cannot grant it. Plenty of other apps have it. Am on iOS 16

Options
2022-11-11 10:15:52

@sachmo I'm having same problem with Tapo app not requesting local network permission so I can't see a way to grant it

Options
2022-11-11 19:23:58

@IanS-67 @sachmo,

The option did not appear when following the recommended solution for this thread?

If not, I would try to reinstall the app; and if that doesn't work I would delete any documents and data related to the app, as there may be an older setting that is causing the app to not ask for permission.

Options
2022-11-18 11:51:03 - last edited 2022-11-18 11:51:35

I too do not see network permissions for the Tether app on ios 16.0.2.  The recommended solution above is also not helping.

Options
2022-12-05 19:17:44

@rdog I am having the same issues. Cannot see local network access. iPhone 12 latest iOS software. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 3405

Replies: 11