Problems with parental control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-18 14:30:34
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 build 20201228 Real. 55057

My daughter streams her boyfriend all night every night. When I put in parental control for her phone and tablet, when her equipment turns off, all she does is turn off her devices and turns them back on and she is back on the wifi with a different mac address which is costly on the monthly bill. Is there a way, short of actually pulling the cord out from the equipment and locking the cord up until morning, that can lock her out for the required night time? Help!!!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Problems with parental control
2022-08-18 16:43:17

@ericjs,

It sounds like she is using Private Addressing on her iPhone to avoid parental controls. The most efficient way of preventing devices from connecting to the network with a private address is to set up a whitelist so that new devices that join the network must be added to the whitelist to connect to the internet.

Options
2022-08-22 19:50:29

@Riley_S  how do I do that?

Options
2022-09-30 19:59:30

@Riley_S 

I've been using the whitelist feature on my router to prevent iphone users from using the private address feature to circumvent parental controls.

I'm considering moving to  the DECO mesh rounters (the X55) to expand my wofi coverage.  Hoever, it does not appear that the DECo software has a whitelist feature, only a blacklist.  And my experience is that the blacklist feature is easily circumvented by ipone users using priivate address, rendering the parental controls useless unless you don't mind constantly checking the tether software (or the DECO equivalent) for "new" devices.

So my question is - does the DECO app have a whitelist or just a blacklist? Or is there some other way to prevent the ios private address functionality from rendering the parental controls useless?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 367

Replies: 3

Related Articles