Deco assigning already assigned IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-25 23:37:01
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: updated today 8/25/22

Im having an issue with my deco assiging ip addresses that are already reserved. 

For example I had a ip conflict and i investegated and a recent phone i connected to my network has an ip address of 192.168.1.8. This ip address has been reserved for my Pi Hole. This obviously caused issues and i had to reserve a ip address for that phone manually. This is the third time this has happened and its becoming a pain. Does anyone have this issue and have a better fix for this? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco assigning already assigned IP addresses
2022-08-26 00:14:41

@IrritatedTech,

Hmmm, this is definitely something that I would not expect to be able to happen. Does this happen with other devices besides your Raspberry Pi? If not, I would set a Static IP on the Pi-Hole instead of using DHCP. I am wondering if the Deco is reassigning that IP when the Pi is reconnecting and querying the network's server.

Also, is it possible that the PiHole is masking the MAC address? such as the private addressing feature on iPhones.

Has this happened with any other devices that are reserved? Have devices other than iPhones been given a previously reserved IP address?

While very much far from an ideal solution, I saw someone on another forum recommend using the 172 address pool instead of 192 as this is the pool that the Deco likes to default to? - No Clue If this is true but it you only have one or two reservations it might be something to try

Options
Re:Deco assigning already assigned IP addresses
2022-08-26 03:17:12

@Riley_S I have had another instance of this happening. I have a truenas box that runs a PC Backup server. It had the ip address 12.168.1.11 it had been up for a fiew months. I thought i had assigned it a static ip address through the deco ui, but a new roku that the grandparents set up took that ip address causing issues with that server. The solution was to assign that roku a static ip address of 192.168.1.201. I had assumed that I forgot something or it was a fluke. This time however I know I set the pi-hole to that ip and had reserved it in the deco ui. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 439

Replies: 2

Related Articles