System with Multiple Wireless Access Points - No IP address when moving to new AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

System with Multiple Wireless Access Points - No IP address when moving to new AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-26 12:57:01
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n

I have 3 Archer C7 routers configured as wireless access points for my home.  All devices are wired directly off my cable modem to LAN points.  DHCP is disabled on the routers (IP addresses are obtained from cable modem) and the access points are assigned static addresses outside of the DHCP range of my modem.  ON the 2.4GHz band, I'm using wireless channels 1,6,11.  Security is set to WPA/WPA2(automatic) and AES.  SSIDs are set the same on all access points.

When a device migrates from one access point to another, the device can't reconnect to the internet (DHCPC DHCP Service unavailable, recv no OFFER).  What should I do to correct?  Should I enable the bridge function on the access points?  I believe the modem sees the device MAC address already has an assignment (associated with a different access point) and isn't issuing a new one on the different access point.

Thanks in adance

Options
6 Reply
Re:System with Multiple Wireless Access Points - No IP address when moving to new AP
2022-08-26 15:33:57

@KevinGA Some mobile devices randomize the MAC address every time it makes a WiFi connection.  It is possible this is messing up / confusing the ARP tables (IP address to MAC address) on your modem. Although it should not be a problem since you modem is acting as the DHCP server, it is worth investigating.  You can turn this feature off on most devices. A Google search should help you find setting for both Android and Apple decices.  Hope this helps.

Options
Re:System with Multiple Wireless Access Points - No IP address when moving to new AP
2022-08-26 22:53:23

@pcuttle 

Thanks for the quick reply.  The device is a Linux Mint laptop.  I think, by default, the MAC address is fixed, but will look into it in more detail.

Thanks,

Options
2022-08-26 23:09:51

@KevinGA 

Looking at my Archer C7 access point logs, perhaps I'm not correctly identifying the problem.  All access point logs contain the following:

1st day 10:06:16     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
1st day 10:06:18     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
1st day 10:06:20     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
1st day 10:06:24     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
1st day 10:06:26     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
1st day 10:06:28     DHCP          INFO       DHCPC DHCP Service unavailable, recv no OFFER

All devices on the network appear to work, but the network is sluggish.  When I move my laptop to a different zone, I often can't reestablish a network connection on the 2.4 GHz band and have to move to the 5GHz to reconnect (or visa versa if previously on the 5GHz band).

Any suggestions on what may be going on?

Options
2022-08-26 23:35:57

@KevinGA 

In the LAN section of your APs, did you set the Gateway address to your modems Local Address,  i.e. 192.168.1.1 or similar?

Options
2022-08-26 23:56:10
AP are set to fixed addresses: 192.168.0.201 192.168.0.202 192.168.0.205 Subnet masks are set to: 255.255.255.0
Options
2022-08-27 00:09:04
Oh! I misunderstood your original instructions. That may be the issue. My gateway setting is located in the section with the DHCP server Settings tab. I assumed the Gateway address didn't matter if the DHCP server was disabled (Access point mode).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 569

Replies: 6

Related Articles