Ethernet says no internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-26 16:29:29 - last edited 2022-09-13 18:38:10
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 202001022

I am using the Ethernet port on the extender and connecting it to my pc and it can work for a good amount of time but then randomly it can just cut out completely and either need to wait a few minutes or I have to restart the extender via the application. I don't understand what the issue could be since it does work it just cuts out for a period of time which is bothersome for when I might be playing something like a game and get disconnected.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Ethernet says no internet
2022-08-26 17:24:59

Hey @Easier,

Are you using your Range Extender in a One Mesh Setup or Just as a Range Extender. I would recommend that you assign the range extender a Static IP so that it can have a guaranteed path for its connection to the router.

Does the internet seem to cut out on a pattern? Like when a second device starts using the network or when the network gets congested?

If you access the interface for your RE, you should be able to check the device logs to see if there is anything out of the ordinary that could indicate the issue. You may also be able to check the logs of your router to determine if the disconnect is happening there.

What router do you have, does this happen when connected to the extender via Wi-Fi too? or only over Ethernet. Does the Application state that the RE has an internet connection

Options
2022-08-26 23:27:22 - last edited 2022-08-27 11:24:12

@Riley_S  Just as a range extender since it seems my router does not support a one mesh setup, I can try assign a static IP to the extender to see if that solves the issue. As for pattern there doesn't really seem to be one since no other devices are connecting to the extender except for my computer via the ethernet. I haven't been able to test to see if the Wireless connectivity also goes out but all lights stay green even when the issue is happening. I also took a look in the system log and nothing seems to change when the disconnect happens. As for the application it says there is no internet connection and if I check the wifi tab there is no internet either. As for the router it is Huawei DG8041W. I also went through the logs on my router and nothing seems unusual. Edit: The Wireless part still seems to continue working just in a really poor way for example pages loading really slowly. Aswell as the issue continuing even with a static IP.

Options
2022-08-31 00:28:59

@Easier,

So the fact that all the lights are staying green and you are able to load a page, albeit slowly, over wireless means that the Range Extender is not actually losing its connection to your main network and there is some kind of communication error between your RE and router. It sounds like your PC just gives up on connecting to the internet when the issue occurs lol. 

The reason that I ask for a pattern, is that if it happens repetively, it may be happening because the DHCP lease is not renewing correctly. 

I am not familiar with the settings on that router, but you may want to look for a setting for Roaming or for Quality of Service(QoS). For most devices, these are the settings that cause issues after a connection has been established. 

There is also an interface for Range Extenders that can be accessed through the Web instead of the Tether App. I would recommend looking here to see what may be causing the connection to drop.

Options
2022-09-08 19:14:58

@Riley_S I did try looking for things related to DHCP but I couldn't find anything relating to Roaming and for QoS it said configuring this isn't allowed on the router. I also did look through the web version but found no anomalies

Options
2022-09-09 17:11:34 - last edited 2022-09-13 18:38:10

@Easier,

Since the connection is cutting out after a period of time, and then reconnecting; I would try to assign a Static Ip address to your computer, this way your computer will always have a guaranteed path for its data to travel through. This sounds like it may be an issue with the DHCP server not assigning a new IP address in time

Options
2022-09-13 17:43:12 - last edited 2022-09-13 18:39:01

@Riley_S Edit: Well that didn't last long seemed to run into the issue again, gonna try go back to an older firmware and see if I get any better luck with that. D;

This seems to work so far, not 100% positive since I haven't been on my pc as much but I am yet to experience a disconnect. Doing it manually on windows was a bit confusing but after it was done correctly it seems to be fine and hopefully will continue to be fine. Thanks 

Options
2022-09-14 09:30:50

@Easier And this issue still occurs. I have no clue what the issue could possibly be and even trying to connect to the extender when it cuts out took some time. Absolutely lost on this one.

Options
2022-09-15 16:48:52

@Easier,

Alright so I combed through our internal docs for a similar issue or case, and the only one that sounds similar to yours has to do with the 5Ghz band dropping out and needing a few minutes or a manual restart. The doc says that the issue is known to only happen with Verizon Fios Routers, and is a result of a setting called DFS Channels During Channel Scan. 

The Solution for that Issue

Disable DFS Channels during Channel Scan option on the Fios G1100/G3100. You may choose a 5GHz channel manually on the channel setting page.

With this DFS Channels during Channel Scan option enabled, the Fios router may jump to the DFS channel after finishing the Channel Scan process, and the range extender won’t be able to connect to the network during the whole process, thus you may experience at least 2 mins disconnection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 589

Replies: 8

Related Articles