How to set static IP for Deco X20 in router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-31 22:16:40

How do I set a static IP address for a satellite Deco x20 when using the main Deco in router mode?

The satellite Deco is running an ethernet backhaul connected to the main Deco through a switch

Cheers

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to set static IP for Deco X20 in router mode
2022-08-31 22:32:08

@Snowy486,

If the device shows up in the client list, I would assume the deco units can be assigned an IP address through the normal means. You can find a guide here: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco. You may have to use the MAC address to manually assign this. 

Otherwise, the Decos may not be capable of setting a Static IP through the appn and you may have to set this either up as an access point, or you may be able to setup the IP from the switch interface

Options
2022-08-31 22:40:34

@Riley_S 

The Deco satellite AP that I want to set a static IP does no show on the client list to allow address reservation to be used

When looking in the app at the list of all Decos on the network I can see the MAC address and IP of Deco satellite AP but don't see anyway to change it

I don't have a managed switch so can't assign any IP that way

Options
2022-08-31 22:56:40

@Snowy486,

I have a feeling that this setting may not be able to be changed then, and the addresses are automatically reserved by the main deco router to ensure consistent connections between the nodes. I will look into this further and see what my team has in the way of configuration guides for this situation.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of setting a static IP for the deco unit? is the IP address changing for the unit on its own? 

The only thing that I can currently think of that would allow this is to set up your satellite deco as a new network, place the device in AP mode, and then try to assign the device as as a client.

Options
2022-08-31 23:24:43

@Riley_S 

I am probably barking up the wrong tree because I am no export but this is the problem I am trying to solve

When the power gets reset my IoT devices (setup with static IP address) seem to grab hold of the signal on the main Deco acting as a router which for some devices this is a much weaker signal than the satellite Deco, I wanted to find a way that I could force the device to connect to the satellite which is physically closer and a stronger signal instead of the main router

Options
2022-09-01 03:18:28

@Snowy486 

Hi, Personally I doubt static IP on the satellite Deco could fix your issue. I see they added what they called connection preference on Deco M5 1.6.0 and users are able to connect which Deco to connect for the clients. That might be what you need. Unfortunately, Deco X20 does not support it yet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1292

Replies: 5