AX21 Can't Seem to Port Forward to Devices Connected via OneMesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-07 14:26:35
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Firmware in OneMesh and AX21 all up to date.

Here's the setup:

Cable modem ---> Router ------> One Mesh -----> CPU #2
                                |
                                |
                              CPU #1

Everything is WiFi connected. I have dynamic DNS provider and several ports open to both CPUs. Let's focus on this one:

external :222 -> CPU #1:22

external :225 -> CPU #2:22

The posting system things anything that looks like a URL is spam so when I say extcpu1 or extcpu2 I mean the external dynamic DNS address which does resolve correctly.

A: From CPU #1: ssh cpu2 -p 22   (works)

B: From CPU #1 or external computer: ssh extcpu2 -p 225 (fails)

C: From external: ssh extcpu1 -p 222 (works)

So from C you can deduce that dynamic DNS is working and port forwarding is working if you are connected to the router, but not to the one mesh.

This worked fine, by the way with an A7 and matching OneMesh routers (the new ones are RE505X).

The Router Log shows the connections set up as expected.

2022-09-07 09:01:41 NAT NOTICE [12085] Virtual server created succeeded....

I have tried setting up for TCP and ALL on this connection. No difference.

Any ideas?

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX21 Can't Seem to Port Forward to Devices Connected via OneMesh
2022-09-07 16:40:42

A little more data: I turned off the OneMesh routers and had the same problem. It appears to be related to the fact that CPU #1 is a Linux machine on x86 and CPU #2 is a Raspberry Pi.

I noticed the Pi had a static IP configured, but I changed it to use DHCP and still does not work. I did notice that it now shows up in the client list, though and the static IP was reserved previously. 

Keep in mind, the same set up worked with no issues with an A7, so I don't think it is some horrible misconfigure of the Pi, firewall, upstream router, etc. Especially given that it works just fine with CPU #1.

Options
2022-09-14 19:07:52 - last edited 2022-09-14 19:24:07

@wd5gnr 

Raspberry Pis OSs often do not enable SSH by default.  Google how to enable it.  It usually just involves adding a text file to the SD card and rebooting.

SORRY, missed where you were able to SSH to Pi locally.  

However, port 225 is a reserved port and your new router may be filtering it.  222 is not reserved so it is not being filtered.  Try using ports in the range of 49152–65535, the Dynamic, private or ephemeral ports, to avoid using an IANA reserved port or one that could be eventually be reserved.  I would try 49222 and 49225.

Good luck.

Options
2022-09-14 21:26:01

@pcuttle Thanks. What I found is that the Mesh repeaters don't understand when a new IP is reserved. So the Pi was getting an old IP address and would not release until the repeater was rebooted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 243

Replies: 3

Related Articles