Is there a way to check the internet speed INTO the router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-12 16:53:54 - last edited 2022-09-13 11:26:25
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 11.1 Build 20220603 rel. 3137

I've just bought and installed the Archer AX21. I can run speed tests on my devices, both wi-fi and Ethernet-connected. But I cannot find a way to test what speed my ISP is providing into the router. Is there a way to test this? I know that at least one other brand of router offers this capability, but I cannot find anything for this router either in the web-based manager or through the Teather app.

I suspect that my ISP is not providing the promised speed, but I know that many factors can affect the speed at the computer, and the ISP is not responsible for anything that happens after the signal enters my house. So I'd like to test the speed INTO the router rather than coming out of it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Is there a way to check the internet speed INTO the router?
2022-09-12 17:30:56

@daniel1948 

Not all routers have an 'internal' speed test. My Archer A20 does but not the AX55.

If you are ALL wireless and your ISP doesn't offer a wireless router/modem combo, you are probably out of luck.

If you have an Ethernet connected device then connect to the modem with it. You will probably have to power down the modem then up and then connect the devcie. Some will 'remember' the device it was connected to and that can cause problems.

It also sounds like you are not sure about your speeds now, it true or not?

If you do not have an Ethernet device you could call the ISP and complain, they will come and test it for you, but sometimes they will charge, or charge if no problem is found.

One last thing to try though, try a different cable from the modem to the router, it could be bad.

You didn't supply any specific either, if you have 1GB service, you'll never reach it, especially with wireless.

Options
2022-09-12 18:42:27 - last edited 2022-09-12 18:42:50

@daniel1948 

You will almost never see the advertised speeds due to network overhead such as latencies incurred along the route to your devices.  They advertise theoretical speeds.  For example, my AX6000 does have speed testing within the router.  I have Gbps down service, and typical get between 850-900 Mbps with the router and similar on wired devices.  If you read the fine print on your service agreement, I am sure you will see language explaining all this.  I would say if you can get 80 -90% of the advertised speed, you are getting good service.

Options
2022-09-12 18:57:45

@pcuttle 

pcuttle wrote

@daniel1948 

I would say if you can get 80 -90% of the advertised speed, you are getting good service.

Not always true. Actually you should be getting what the ISP delivers or claims you should get. 1GB service is always not the speed you see, but others, as long as you measure the speed correctly you should get what is advertised or more. Most ISP's will 'over provision' the speed so you can't complain you are not getting what you pay for.

I have Spectrum 400/20Mbps service. They 'over provision' by 20% normally. This what I get:

dcd73a9451834098b2769af4107ae648

I am on an AX router and connected wirelesly via an Intel Killer card. When I use the Ethernet I'll get slightly higher on both.

What the ISP usually requires for testing on Their site and using a wired connection.

However, whatever you get should be consistent across devices on the SAME SSID. If not you have to examine the device and its distance from the Router or its cabiling.

Just a comment really as we don't know the situatio with the OP vs. the connected and throughput speeds, ISP speed, and the device particulars.

Options
2022-09-12 19:12:52

@IrvSp I imagine provisioning is heavily determined by market conditions and network capacity/utilization in your area.  Just a thought.  I would ne interested to know what his service level is versus what a wired client is getting to see if he has cause for concern.

Options
2022-09-13 00:07:56

@pcuttle 

I guess the few ISP's I've had have always done over provisioning. I have in Tx. RoadRunner, where we live now, ShawUS, and the company that bought them, Brighthouse, and then Comcast bought them. All did over provisioning. Yes, the 'fine print' is there, more so they don't get calls from someone using G speed wireless on a 200Mbps in line.

Also, some people confuse Connection speed on the Windows Connectoid with the speed they think they can get. For instance, like this:

3059d4fcc85b437abd6d6b443497bd16

No, my speed should not be 2.4Gbs obviously. However an AC 802.1 device will connect @ 867Mbps and that is the theoretical you can get, which I guess many people have with GB service. However, that is the connect speed, and has some overfhead in it to deliver the speed.

DUCKWARE dot COM has some good articles on the actual vs. theoretical speeds like this one, " Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) ", explains a lot and a lot of wireless stuff too.

Yes, we got no info, no ISP speed, what the OP is getting, wireless device being used, can't tell what the problem could be with out that sort of info. Like you showed, for 1Gbps, speed is lower than advertised. In my case, if I should have less that 400Mbps the ISP will work on it.

Options
2022-09-13 01:14:44
I just had fiber optic cable installed. They promise 500 Mbps down and 300 up. I tested the speed at my computer (2015 iMac, El Capitan) at the Ookla website on my browser (Chrome). I consistently got numbers in the general range of 150 down and 200 up. Tested on wi-fi and on ethernet with similar results. This was why I asked my question. Then I downloaded the native Ookla app for OS X, and suddenly started getting test results in the range of 370 down and 260 up. So apparently the web-based speed test is unreliable. Except that previously, on cable, I was getting 350 Mbps download speeds, using the web-based Ookla speed test. So I have no idea what's going on. No matter how I test, measured at the computer, fiber isn't giving me much more speed than cable. But fiber is a lot cheaper. And I'm told fiber is more reliable. Cable goes out when there's a local neighborhood power outage. Folks are telling me fiber will not do that. (Solar house with battery back-up, my house always has power.) Also connected are two separate solar systems and my car, and I have no idea how much bandwidth they're using. I'd like to be able to measure the speed the ISP is delivering to the router, because if the slow-down is happening after the signal enters the house, it's not the ISP's fault.
Options
2022-09-13 11:26:28

@daniel1948 

Well, you said you "Tested on wi-fi and on ethernet with similar results." Is there a reason you can't connect the cable to the Router to the PC and test that?

Have you checked QoS on the router? Wondering if the Global Setting is set wrong by default?  At that speed I'd even disable it.

Options
2022-09-13 15:11:20

@daniel1948 

You have to be mindful when using Ookla or similar speed test services to take not of the server they select.  Usually, they will try to pick the bes server, but I would try to pick one manually that has the lowest latency and ideally, closest to you geographically.  The only other ting I can suggest is tryi to swap the eth cable connecting your router to your modem.  A noisy cable there would impact all your connections.

Options
2022-09-13 21:59:01

Hey @IrvSp,

Just something to note from another user's post last week. They discovered that their QoS settings were capping their expected speeds. The user discovered that slowly increasing the QoS Bandwidth to above the speed that is expected, would force the QoS to use the full speed. I do not know if this is a bug, but it may be able to serve as a temporary fix for QoS issues.

Thanks for all your help!

Options
2022-09-14 01:52:43

@IrvSp 

I'm afraid most of what you said went over my head. The fiber company installed a box on the wall that I'm calling the "fiber box" though I believe there's another name for it. ONT I think. A short ethernet cable connects the ONT to the router. I have tested the speed at my computer four ways:

1. Wi-Fi using Ookla on Chrome

2. Wi-fi using the Ookla native app

3. Ethernet from the router to the computer, using Ookla on Chrome

4. Ethernet from the router to the computer, using the native Ookla app.

Ookla on chrome shows very slow speeds whether the computer is connected by wi-fi or by ethernet. 

The native Ookla app shows very fast speeds whether the computer is connected by wi-fi or by ethernet.

To be certain, at the computer I shut off wi-fi when testing via ethernet, and physically disconnected the ethernet cable when testing wi-fi.

My results showed that the website on Chrome gave poor results, while the native Ookla app gave very good results. I didn't know this when I first asked my original question at the top of thos thread.

I have no idea what to do with QoS, but by default it is disabled, which is what you are recommending.

I have not tried connecting the ethernet cable directly from the ONT (fiber box) to the computer. Can I even do that?

I have also tested speeds to the Amazon Fire stick, and no matter what I do, I get around 50 to 70 Mbps download and 10m or 12 upload. I'm guessing the Fire stick just won't go over that, maybe because it's overkill for streaming video???

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1259

Replies: 12