Disney Plus not streaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-16 04:37:31
Model: Archer C3150  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.1.0 0.9.1 v005f.0 Build 220117 Rel.63400n

It could be partly ISP-related, but changing ISPs to test the theory is not very easy.   I've done all the basic troubleshooting.  Rebooting EVERYTHING, uninstall/reinstall, clearing the cache, WiFi speed is 330Mbps down.

I'm have a problem getting the Disney+ APP to work through my router on my Android devices. I can load the webpage interface (in Desktop Mode) and watch on the SAME device, so ISP is generally out, but the app might use a different port than 80/8080.  I don't know and shouldn't have to know.  I've tried to find anything in the router that would block the app, but did not see anything.  There are no parental settings for the streaming devices on the router.  There is TrendMicro security, but turning it off did not make a difference either.

Taking the router out between the TV and the cable modem seemed to work too, but it is not a useful solution since I need the connection shared on more than 1 device.  Distance from the router does not seem to be a factor.  The TV is 100 ft away and up a floor from the modem.  My tablet is maybe 2 feet from the router and gives the same error.  All other streaming services continue working.

I'm at a loss for how else to troubleshoot this.  DisneyPlus support said they've "been getting some reports"

Any ideas?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Disney Plus not streaming
2022-09-16 16:50:56

@GU-NetGuy,

This sounds like some kind of incompatibility that was shipped out in an application update from Disney. 

A Troubleshooting step that could be worth your time would be to try and connect your devices to your router's guest network and see if the issue persists.

If you disable the wifi on the device and use your cell connection, does the app then work?

Try disabling Private Addressing in your phone's wifi settings. Most streaming services have protections included so that the video can only be played in certain conditions so as to prevent basic piracy methods.

Options
2022-09-16 17:51:53

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the ideas!

-Cell connection works (mobile hotspot).

-Plugging the modem into the TV streaming device works

-Playing through Chrome works, even on Android devices with the same WiFi.

-Playing on TV Streaming works through Puffin Browser (but not "TV Browser")

Guest network made no difference.

This is looking like an app issue.... Maybe I need a whitehat to sniff out how the app differs from the browser.  I suspect there's some shady coding the app pulls that the router is filtering somehow.

Options
2022-09-19 22:57:23

@GU-NetGuy,

Unsurprisingly, there is a lot of 'shady' stuff that comes with streaming applications. Theses companies have had to become mroe strict in order to combat the use of VPNs to watch shows unavailable in your region and similar cases that allow users to get around their set limitations. For example, many VPNs will not actually work with some streaming services, as the streaming services does not look at your IPs locations, but rather will look at your devices geographic location.

Options
2022-09-19 23:10:27

This is just weird.  

Add to the crazy.  The app works on my neighbor's iPhone; but not Android (on my WiFi).

I was hoping I was missing a setting on my router that was filtering it out or something.  No luck yet with switching settings around to be less and less secure.

Maybe it's time to pull out the old Roku and try that one.

Options
2022-09-19 23:13:53

@GU-NetGuy,

Can you think of any privacy or firewall settings on either your phone or on your router that you may have changed that could affect it? Do you have a VPN connection on your phone?

Otherwise, I would recommend maybe trying to change the DNS that is in use by your router to another known DNS server such as Google's 8.8.8.8

Options
2022-09-19 23:37:41 - last edited 2022-09-19 23:38:26

The DNS settings should effect ALL WiFi devices.  There is no problem with desktops, laptops, and iPhones on this WiFi.  This is where I'm getting confused.  There is no VPN involved to my knowledge (and I set up the network).  This also appears specific to the router.  I tried a much older 801.11N and think it was working as well.  I have another TP-Link that I think is also N-based, but I need to find it again it the tech wasteland.

I've been considering moving up to an AX-based Archer GX90, but I don't want this to be an on-going issue with TP-Link's HomeCare security and I'm happy with the brand otherwise.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Options
2022-09-19 23:46:27

@GU-NetGuy,

To be fair, I havent come across a similar situation with our newer devices lol. I would highly recommend upgrading though, wireless technology has come miles and miles over the last few years. One last thing that may be worth checking out, is the actual encryption/security settings. I'm wondering if there may be some incompatibility there such as a device using an older Encryption Method that the app doesn't like.

Options
2022-09-20 13:56:54

The plot thickens.  

I pulled out my older TP-Link TL-WDR4300 router and IT WORKS.  

What would cause this only on my newer router.  My ancient Netgear also works.

Now why does my the app hate my Archer 3150?  ;-)

Options
2022-10-13 14:26:51

Thanks for the help.

The app updated last week, but didn't seem to work still.  It appears to be that the Disney+ app didn't like Encryption set to "Auto" on my 802.11bgn mixed channel.  I changed it to AES and it appears to work enough.  There is a speed issue, but that could just be a matter of finetuning.  I don't remember changing the encryption prior to the app not working, but for now it appears OK.

Options