Problems connecting old modem/router to new router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-18 16:59:17
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Let me start by saying that, although I have a technical background, setting up modems and routers is uncharted territory for me.

I recently purchased an Archer AX3000 WiFi 6 router. The setup looked straightforward enough, but I’m having trouble—most likely related to the modem, an old Netgear N300 WiFi cable modem (model C3000). I have an ethernet cable connecting the modem to the WAN port of the router. The power, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and internet LEDs are all green.

Using the Tether app, I’ve been able to set up the router, but I cannot connect to the new TP-Link network with either my laptop or mobile phone. I can, however, still connect to the old network.

I’ve searched various forums here and, from what I can tell, maybe I need to turn off the modem’s router so that it will connect with the new router. Or maybe replace the Netgear modem/router entirely. I hate to just throw money at a new modem if that’s not going to address this issue—besides, it's not a terribly useful way to diagnose the problem. On the other hand, I’m becoming desperate.

Any suggestions...?

Peter

Options
2 Reply
Re:Problems connecting old modem/router to new router
2022-09-18 21:16:16

@pedrolobo 

Are you saying both the Netgear modem/router and TP-Link router are transmitting SSID'?

Because of this you can only connect to the modem/router?

Well, first, the modem/router has to be set ot BRIDGE mode, that is the Router function is turned off. Look for BRIDGE in your Netgear manual or Google it. Can't post links to external site on this forum.

I also assume you are using the same SSID's, another problem.  Probably because the devices remember the data for the Netgear is why you can only connect there.

Once you do bridge the Netgear, FORGET the SSID on all device and connect again to the TP-Link should solve your problems.

Options
Re:Problems connecting old modem/router to new router
2022-09-22 16:42:05 - last edited 2022-09-22 16:42:51

@pedrolobo 

In addition to what has been said previously about putting C300 in bridge mode, you should be able to disable the radios in the C300 web GUI settings to eliminate interference.

If your internet service is faster than 300 Mbps, then your modem is not taking full advantage of what you are paying for.  Consider upgrading to a modem compatible with DOCSIS 3.1 spec.  You will be more future proof if you decide to upgrade service speeds later.  I have a modem with WiFi built in as well and do not use it as I have an AX6000 hooked up to it.  Once I put the modem in bridge mode and disable 2.4 and 5Ghz radios, I was good to go.  Just be mindful, you modem will likely have a 192.168.0.X LAN side address so your router may need an address like 192.168.1.1 on it's own network to be bridge to modem.

Hope this helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 451

Replies: 2

Related Articles