Wifi speed around half of wired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-19 19:05:52
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have connected an AX3000 router to a 500mb/s provider, however the wireless is providing around half speed compared to wired connection (200-300mb/s). Is this behavior normal?

I have tested different configurations and none of them worked, so decided to leave the router with the default factory configuration. I'm testing next to the router, there are no walls or obstacles in between. Please note that if I connect a cable to the LAN out of the router it provides 500mb, same as the direct connection from the modem.

I appreciate your advice.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Wifi speed around half of wired
2022-09-19 23:43:46

@dalemego,

It is relatively normal to have a speed drop off like this over a wireless connection, as there are so many factors at play. If you think that your devices are not receiving the correct speeds, you could try to manually change the QoS settings in the router's interface.

When completing these speed tests, are there any other devices that are connected to network that could be using some bandwidth or could be causing the router to reserve bandwidth for those devices>

Also, is the speed dropoff consistent between both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz connections?

Options
2022-09-20 01:26:52

@Riley_S thank you for your reply. There was no other device connected when I ran the Speedtest, only the laptop vía wifi. What seems strange is that the speed drops almost half of the wired. I mean, the ISP speed is 500mb/s with cable, I can get the same speed from the Ethernet outputs from the AX3000 but when using wifi I can only get 200mb/s (300mb in the best case). 

I'm currently using the smart connection option but have tested separately with the 2.4 and 5Ghz. Should I see such a big drop in the speed? 

Options
2022-09-20 16:26:20

@dalemego,

If the speeds are hovering around this speed, I have a suspicion that your device is only connecting to the 2.4 Ghz band of your wifi network. If you turn the wifi on your device/phone on and on again, do you receive better speeds? 

I have seen a few users report that the fast roaming feature compatible with most modern routers can cause issues with devices not switching between the different bands. I recommend trying to disable the settings. 

Otherwise, for the sake of troubleshooting, it may not be a bad idea to turn the Smart Connect off, and see if the speeds are limited to one of the bands or both.

Options
2022-09-20 17:43:32

@Riley_S , I just disabled the smart connect and the 2.4ghz network, but I obtained the same results. The speeds are almost same using the 5ghz network for laptop, and phone.

Options
2022-09-21 16:59:44

@dalemego,

I would definitely recommend looking at the QoS settings on your router, as these settings can limit the overall bandwidth that is distributed to the rest of your devices. You can try to set the QoS expected speeds to the speed you are expecting, or slightly above to see if this will increase your overall connection speeds.

Options
2022-09-21 18:50:07

@Riley_S , I have tried changing the settings in the QoS but still get the same result. However, I was able to contact the TP-Link support and after some tests they confirmed it is normal to have wifi speed around 50% from the wired connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 878

Replies: 6