Allotted time set in parental controls is being used when not online by automatic phone processes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Allotted time set in parental controls is being used when not online by automatic phone processes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-20 00:07:31
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.5

We have our router set up to lock access from my daughter between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. . It's also set to allow her only 3 hours per day. The problem is that every time the router turns on at 6:00 a.m., it starts communicating with her phone and using up parts of her 3 hours. Most of the traffic seems to be related to mcafee, and yet I can't find McAfee installed on the phone. The phone is a newer Samsung model. I've tried blocking the sites that it's connecting to, but that does not do any good. Has anyone experienced a situation like this before? Any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Allotted time set in parental controls is being used when not online by automatic phone processes
2022-09-21 16:33:48

@Doctortrombone,

Unfortunately, this is a result of the background usage on the phone. As soon as the phone is giving an internet connection, the apps and device will start communicating with the network to see if there are any updates or notifications that need to go through. You can try and prevent this by turning off background app refresh on her phone, however this could be an inconvenience for some other apps.

I would recommend looking into ways to set a schedule for either the phone's Airplane Mode, or to turn off the wifi, that way when she needs to use the network, all she has to do is toggle the wifi switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 209

Replies: 1