Connecting TP-Link Deco X60 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Mesh Wi-Fi system to Verizon FiOS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-22 15:20:42
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.03

I'm interested in buying a TP-Link Deco X60 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Mesh Wi-Fi system from Costco and I have a Verizon FiOS router (somewhat old) model G1100. Don't know the Hardware version, didn't see it on the router. My question is on how to hookup the mesh network to FiOS.  I saw an illustration showing, what I take to be a router, hooking into the Deco X60.  

1.  Do I leave the input cable currently in the Verizon router and from the router hook into the back of the Deco X60?

2.  Since my Verizon router is old, should I use another method?

3.  Will all the more modern security features still be available on the Deco X60?  Someone told me my Verizon router doesn't have the latest security features.

4.  Someone also told me I can hook the Deco X60 directly to the ONT, which is outside on the back of the garage.  The cable runs from the ONT along the back of the house to an upstairs bedroom on the second floor on the other side of the house.  

5.  As you can tell, I'm not very technically oriented.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting TP-Link Deco X60 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Mesh Wi-Fi system to Verizon FiOS
2022-09-23 17:05:22

@skua123,

Lot to unpack here:

First, What TV Provider do you use? If you have Verizon's new Streaming Box Setup, your Verizon Router will be required to communicate with the TV boxes. Otherwise, it is most likely that the router from Verizon will not be necessary at all. 

The main thing is that you do not want to have more than one main router on a single network(besides mesh satellite nodes). This can cause a variety of issues and is the reason why routers, including your Deco, can be placed into Access Point Mode.

If you do not want to remove the Verizon router from your network configuration, you can switch your Deco X60's operation mode to Acess Point Mode after initial setup.

TP-Link works with security companies across the globe to keep our devices secure for our users. This is done through either the HomeCare or HomeShield settings on your router. Unfortunately, these settings are only available when the TP-Link router is managing the network traffic and is set up as the main router on the network.

Options
2022-09-26 13:03:33

@skua123 

Riley_S,  Thanks very much for the reply. I'm back now.  I don't have a Verizon set-top box or house phone (I use a cell phone). I get my TV from the internet (Sling, Netflix, Roku), and local stations from an antenna in the attic. I only get internet from Verizon FiOS.  So, do you think I should be able to get rid of the Verizon router and plug the cable from the Verizon Modem (I think they call it an ONT) directly into the Deco X60? That way, I should be able to enjoy the security features of TP-Link. Would you say this is right?  Again, I'm not very technically oriented.  I really appreciate your help/advice.  Thanks, George

Options
2022-09-26 17:13:31

@skua123,

You are defintely able to take the Verizon Router out of your network setup, so as to receive a better overall experience. Only thing, depending on the type of cable that is running from your ONT to your router, there may be additional steps:

If it is an Ethernet Cable, the system will be very easy to substitute. If there is a coax cable, there will have to be some communication with Verizon. Apparently, most ONTs have an Ethernet Port on them, however they are often disabled  by the technician in favor of coax cabling. You will have to get in contact with Verizon to reenable the port, then you can proceed with connecting via Ethernet to your TP-Link router

Options
2022-09-26 19:50:15

@skua123 

Riley_S,  Thanks very much for the help and advice.  Appreciate it.  Regards,  George

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2633

Replies: 4