Deco M9 Plus speeds seem to be throttled somehow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-25 06:40:09
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

I had a 500Mbps connection  till recently (from Virgin) and my test speeds used to show in the high 400s, and I was happy with that.

I was upgraded to a 1Gbps connection recently, and unfortunately the speeds on my M9 still seem to show the sane as before. I have tried the disabling of QOS, setting the speeds in QOS, disabling the Antivirus...all have had zero impact kn the speed.

I have 2 Deco M9s, and I tried turning the second one off, still made no difference.

The Speed test on the virgin Router shows far better results and they are literally next to each other. Before anyone asks about it, I am now testing with the virgin modem in modem mode. The "Test Internet Speed" gives results in the high 800s (the Virgin modem generally gives results about 1000Mbps, I am using a CAT6 cable), but I have not gone above 500Mbps on the speedtest (using Ooka Speedtest).

Has anyone seen results anywhere near 700-800 Mbps with their kit, and if so, any suggestions? I am not happy to live with 500Mbps speeds with a 1Gbps line, so I'll need to decide about going to Amazon with this problem (though its close to 2 years since I bought it).

Hoping for some insights into what might be going on. Thanks in advance .

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus speeds seem to be throttled somehow
2022-09-26 17:58:23

@rahulblue,

Small thing, make sure that your modem is capable of outputting the higher speeds to your router, many Docsis 3.0 modems cannot output at a higher rate and will be stuck at this lower tier. 

I would recommend trying various speed testing services to confirm your findings, and even more importantly: make sure you complete these speed tests over a wired connection, as the speed tests are calculated not from the router or network, but from your client device.

I would also highly recommend leaving the modem in modem only mode, unless you are setting up your TP-Link Decos as Access Points

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 1