Extending wifi to outbuilding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-03 16:26:39
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I'm currently having an electrician wire both a 60amp box and Cat5 underground to an outbuilding about 200ft away from my house. In the house, I have a P9 mesh network running and I've been very impressed. I'm looking for some advice as to how I set up the configuration, what equipment I need and a high level design if available. Can anyone help?

Thank you, 
Dan

Options
5 Reply
Re:Extending wifi to outbuilding
2022-10-03 23:12:20

@Danmckenney313 Buy another Deco Node P9, P7, or M5.

Plug one endo f your new ethernet cable into one P9 and the other end in the outbuilding into the new Deco.  I suggest that you add the new node to the existing mesh in the fouse first. Then relocate to the outbuilding.

Options
2022-10-03 23:41:10

@Danmckenney313,

You may not be able to receive a reliable connection over that distance. Depending on your networks needs and how many devices will be in the outbuilding, you can choose any deco that seems to fit the bill.

If you are looking for a premium flagship deco model, I know that we have some of our CES devices slated to launch extremely soon; otherwise, the most powerful Deco offered right now is most likely the Deco XE75 Pro.

Something to note when making a decision. As all the data from the outbuilding  will have to pass through your buried Cat5E Line, try to make sure that you are connecting either end of this wire into an ethernet port that is rated for multi-gig connections, otherwise, your bandwidth will be bottlenecked on this line.

Options
2022-10-03 23:45:38

@Riley_S Hi Riley. I've got a Verizon Fios G3100 which from my research acts as both a router and modem. Currently, I've got my Main p9 Deco plugged into LAN 1. My thought was that I connect the cat5 line into the LAN 2 slot and connect a p9 at the other end in the outbuilding but as an access point. Does that sound right? 

Really appreciate the help!

Dan

Options
2022-10-03 23:46:12

@DAServices. I've got a Verizon Fios G3100 which from my research acts as both a router and modem. Currently, I've got my Main p9 Deco plugged into LAN 1. My thought was that I connect the cat5 line into the LAN 2 slot and connect a p9 at the other end in the outbuilding but as an access point. Does that sound right? 

Really appreciate the help!

Dan

Options
2022-10-04 00:37:59

@Danmckenney313,

Yes, you are correct, the Deco can be set up as an AP or a Mesh Node; but given the distance between the nodes, I have a slight feeling that the Mesh might not be the best option.

Putting the Deco in AP mode will allow a separate network to exist in the outbuilding.

One thing to make sure of, however, is that you have either disabled the wireless functionality, or put the Fios G3100 Gateway into Bridge Mode, that way it will only operate as a modem. Under bridge mode you can take full advantage of the features offered by the Decos, Otherwise, the P9 next to the G3100 will also have to be placed in to AP mode also.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 405

Replies: 5

Related Articles