Slower download speeds unless factory reset

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-07 17:59:44 - last edited 2022-10-07 22:08:49
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)

My spectrum internet is 500mbps, actually 583mbs download speed.  This was verified by an onsite visit yesterday from a Spectrum tech.

When I connect my desktop, or laptop, to my cable modem's Ethernet port (using DHCP) I consistently get 550+ Mbps download and around 24mbps upload.

If I go through the Ethernet LAN ports on my router, it always drops down to 200 Mbps download.

So, I backed up my AX6000 settings to a file.
Then I did a factory reset on my router, re-connected to the cable modem, and now my wired internet is up to 550+ Mbps.

But, when I restored my backup to the router, rebooted, the download speed is back down to around 200 Mbps again.

During the time of the factory reset of the router the average cpu usage was around 4% on each core.

After the restore of the backup each core was around 7-8% usage.

What would I possibly look at in my restored settings that could be cutting down my internet speed so much?

I have two switches (8 port and 16 port) connected to my router, even disconnecting them does nothing to increase the speed.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

I've pinged support on this but hoping the community has someone out there with a similar fixed issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Slower download speeds unless factory reset-Solution
2022-10-07 21:29:06 - last edited 2022-10-07 22:08:49

@marklyn 

QOS settings from old config may be creating the problem.  Check that out or if you have done a firmware update recently and the symptoms began following, it may be that the config did not "migrate" to new firmware properly.  If QOS settings are not the issue with original settings, I would just do the factory reset and rebuild your settings starting from a fresh config.   

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Slower download speeds unless factory reset-Solution
2022-10-07 21:29:06 - last edited 2022-10-07 22:08:49

@marklyn 

QOS settings from old config may be creating the problem.  Check that out or if you have done a firmware update recently and the symptoms began following, it may be that the config did not "migrate" to new firmware properly.  If QOS settings are not the issue with original settings, I would just do the factory reset and rebuild your settings starting from a fresh config.   

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Slower download speeds unless factory reset
2022-10-07 22:03:42

@pcuttle  OH my god!  I looked everywhere, even in the QOS settings before but missed the device priority setting at the top of the page, which opened up the "Setting the total bandwidth" for upload/download.  It was set to 'get from internet speed test' and was at 204 and 23, I changed it to  999 and 40 and wow, I have fast internet now!

TP Link 'support' has had 2 days to come up with something in the way of a solution but haven't heard much from them. blah.

THANKS

Options
Re:Slower download speeds unless factory reset
2022-10-08 01:40:03

@marklyn 

Awesome!! I am glad it turned out to be an 'easy' fix!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 362

Replies: 3

Related Articles