Deco satellite connecting to main deco rather than closer satellite

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-11 03:30:35
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20220530 Rel.38490

I have 4 Deco x68 and the farthest satellite unit gets it source from the main unit through four walls. The signal is unusable. There is another satellite, line of sight with one wall between. I've moved it temporarily sitting 1 meter away in the same room, yet it still chooses its source as the main Deco router 4 walls away. 

I've looked for configuration options, re-booted, installed the latest firmware. I've seen some support for this on M5 units. How can I get the far satellite to source the closer, line of sight satellite and not the main Deco?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Deco satellite connecting to main deco rather than closer satellite
2022-10-11 16:33:45

@smarkkham604,

We have beta firmware for similar models of Deco that are supposed to fix a similar behavior, but not yet for the x68. I would recommend getting in touch with our support team to see if they can provide more up-to-date information. Honestly, the easiest solution for this would be to simply swap the second unit for the farthest unit. The deco system also doesn't like having more than 3 'Hops' in the network, so this may also be the reason that the Deco is trying to connect back to the main router.

Options
2022-10-12 03:29:39

@Riley_S Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I understand your suggestion to swap the 2nd and farthest 4th unit? 

The closest Deco satellite is about 10M (~32') away through three interior walls. The next Deco satellite is about 8M (~26') from the first satellite, through 1 exterior wall. (about 10M, through 3 interior and 1 exterior wall back to the main Deco.) The last Deco satellite is in an out building 18M (~60') through 2 uninsulated walls from the 2nd satellite. (about 23M (~75') through the six walls already mentioned to the main Deco unit)

All units are in a single story home. All three satellite units source their signal from the main X68 rather than the nearest satellite.

Options
2022-10-12 16:37:05

@smarkkham604,

Sorry, i misunderstood what your network looked like, I thought you were daisy-chaining the other deco nodes together. My recommendation was just to swap out one of the other nodes for the node in the outbuilding to see if that node would be willing to create a daisy chain connection right away.

Also, see if there is an 'optimize' network option hidden in the settings for the network as this may help the network adapt to the configuration.

Have you been able to get the Deco to show as having another deco as a signal source yet? 

Options
2022-10-13 00:26:02

@Riley_S Thanks for the reply.

All the satellite Decos show the main as the signal source and have not found an option to change that. I've currently moved the outbuilding Deco indoors, sitting next to the 2nd satellite (in my description above).

I'm currently working on getting wired ethernet backhaul, in hopes to improve the situation, but unfortunately getting wired ethernet to the outbuilding is cost prohibitive at this time. I'm installing a switch in my crawlspace on the other side of my house to get ethernet to the first two satellite Decos. 

I've hunted all through the app on my phone, as well as the web interface, and find no settings for "optomize" network. 

This is all rather disappointing as the entire upgrade was to get better internet in the out building. I've used Zyxel powerline adapters for a few years, and it's too slow. I purchased a set (3) Deco P9 units, and it worked for a day, showing the powerline as the backhaul channel, but stopped and never showed that again. I was hoping these X68 tri-band units would work.

Options
2022-10-13 00:59:09

@smarkkham604,

Wired ethernet backhaul will literally change your entire experience, when i upgraded my network to use ethernet rather than a wireless backhaul. My entire family could tell a difference in the speeds and buffering times on videos. I cannot recommend it enough.

Only some of our Decos currently have the option to manually set the signal source, with the feature rolling out slowly to other models. This is similar to the optimize feature available on some Decos, even though you cannot manually trigger the process, it is still occurring in the background.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you disconnect the main router for a while, and let the other decos create a 'local-only' mesh amongst each other. On this topic, it may be worth swapping the main deco if it for some reason is the node forcing the connections

Options
2022-10-13 01:10:13

@Riley_S You are awesome with your quick replies. 

I've thought of killing the main for a while, good to know the others might continue to negotiate amongst themselves. The wired backhaul is a big project for me (under my house) and will hopefully get better results when that is finished. (might be several days)

Totally unrelated: If I pull up the Tp-link community forms, (not logged in) I can't find my posts (this thread). I log in and still can't find my posts. My profile shows that I have posts, but when I click on my posts in the side panel, it shows "no posts"  The only way I have been able to respond to you is by going back in my browsing history. Strange, eh?

Options
2022-10-13 17:17:48

@smarkkham604,

I can almost guarantee you that you are accidentally visiting the EN forums, instead of the US forums. In the URL  after tp-link.com it will either say US or EN, they look the same, but the posts are separate.

If the main unit is unplugged, and a new unit is not placed in the network, you may have to go into the deco app and set a new main deco unit. Let me know if you have any issues with setting up your backhaul system. Good luck!

Options
2022-10-13 22:07:52

@Riley_S Thanks for the US/EN explanation. Makes sense...

As a proof of concept, I strung a spaghetti mess of Cat5e, coax, switches, and MoCA adapters through my house to test my set up as planned (when I can get all the work done under my house)  The speed improvement was remarkable. I put the Deco back into the out building, and it miraculously sourced the closest Deco (in my mudroom). Even with a "medium" signal to my chromebook in my workshop (2 uninsulated walls-20' (6M) away n another outbuilding) my speed went from 7down/8up on powerline to an astonishing 283down/151up. 

The out building Deco went back to source the main Deco as I was disconnecting and cleaning up all the trip hazards inside my home. But as soon as I reconnected the ethernet backhaul to the other 3 Decos, the out building went back to source the closest Deco. I'm pleased with the results. I do hope they include a firmware update to choose the source like on the M5. 

Thanks for all your help. Cheers!

Options
2022-10-14 00:27:36

@smarkkham604,

There's actually another user with the same feature request. This user found a thread from our EU team that was testing beta firmware to add these features to the v1 of the Deco X55. The thread was only posted a month ago, so they may be already working to bring the M5 features to other Decos.

I'm glad it looks like your setup is going to plan, let me know how those MoCA adapters turn out. I have always been curious about whether or not they can provide a reliable enough connection to potentially replace Ethernet cabling.

Options
2023-01-03 20:11:48

@smarkkham604 

Yes the Daisy chaining works.  

In my situation,  going from main then about 30 feet to my next Kitchen Deco then to the next garage Deco about 30 feet away from the Kitchen Deco. Ok, the only way I could get it to "Daisy chain" was to (sort of)  "Faraday" my Garage Deco. That is 2 say I wrapped my garage Deco with aluminum flashing material so ALL SIGNALS would be drastically reduced. But still have some signal "leakage". This way in order for this garage Deco 2 work it must pick up the weak signal of the Kitchen Deco and NOT the main Deco.  And LOW AND BEHOLD the signal 📶 was connected to the Kitchen Deco. I achieved a "Daisy chain". I almost fell out of me chair when I saw that. so obviously I went back to me garage Deco and unwrapped it from its "Faraday cage"  and the "Daisy Chain" is still funtional.  WHAT A HELL OF A WAY OF DOING THIS BUT IT WORKED. I hope in the near future Deco will rewritte the coding to allow you to choose what and where each Deco unit will receive it’s signal.  

But YES!  ladies & Gentlemen, after a year of trying I have finally achieved a working mesh "Daisy Chain".

I hope this helps you.  Happy 😄 New Year 2023.

Dave C. Stout

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2070

Replies: 12

Related Articles