Setting up a local WIFI network with no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-14 23:09:17
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have kind of a unique environment. I need to set up a local WIFI network for a competition. The network will have no internet connection and its only use is for competitors to check on results from their phones. There could be potentially 100 to 150 simultaneous connections but the bandwidth of each is very small. All the users will able to do is view a simple static web page and I would not expect them to refresh that often. I am looking at the Delco unit because it claims it can handle that number of connections whereas most of other brands claim much fewer.

My main question is how do I do the initial setup without an internet connection. The setup procedure seems to require that. Or the other option is to do the normal setup with an internet connection and then when I need to do run the unit during the competition just power them up without the internet connection.

Will this work?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up a local WIFI network with no internet connection
2022-10-17 22:09:06

@Rich_H,

Our Deco Systems are really meant to function in online situations, as that is where the additional features kick in. Yes you could theoretically setup the network first and then take it, but this would seem risky to me if there is no internet to reset if something were to go really wrong. You would be better suited to look at the newest routers that we have. The newest wifi technologies, in this case mostly wi-fi 6, allow for more devices to interact with the network without slowing the rest of the devices. These routers are also much more accommodating to offline and traditional network setups. 

Options
2022-10-17 23:43:49

@Riley_S 

Can you please give me some model you are referring to. Based on what I see the Delco routers are Wifi-6.

Options
2022-10-18 00:05:38

@Rich_H

Take a look at our regular non-mesh Archer Series of Routers;

the reason I was indicating to use a regular router is not that Deco is lacking in technology; rather, the systems and configuration options for a Deco System are more cloud-oriented, and an Archer Router will provide more control over your network while being much easier to configure and troubleshoot.

Here is a comparison tool for our non-deco routers: Archer Router Comparison Tool

Options
2022-10-18 02:39:03
Thanks, one more question. The Archer routers do not mention anything about the maximum number of connections in the specs. Will they support 150 or so low bandwidth simultaneous connections?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 855

Replies: 4

Related Articles