Garage door opener interference?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-18 12:54:08

2x eufycam 2 cameras and home base.
Chamberlain wifi garage door opener.
TP-Link Deco M4 mesh. Home base fixed to one particular node.
300 Mbps down max.

Eufycam signal strength full bars between home base/cameras/router.

Home base in room next to garage, equidistant between both cameras.
One camera is outside above the garage door, with the wifi garage door opener in between that camera and the home base.

I am having intermittent connection issues with the camera that is above the garage door. Other camera, no issues. The Deco does not allow you to select channels but there is a wifi optimization feature which presumably sets the channels for you. Have uninstalled/reinstalled the garage door camera several times. I suspect interference from the wifi garage door opener. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this and any possible solutions. Have had no issues with the garage door opener.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Garage door opener interference?
2022-10-18 16:55:09

@cginva,

To me, it would be hard to believe that a garage door opener would cause enough interference to stop a connection from a router. I have a myQ at my house, and have no issues with interference from the device. I can check when I get home what a wi-fi analyzer shows regarding interference and range.

The main thing that people do not account for with their connections, is the fact that the walls in your garage are VERY different from the rest of the walls in your house. If your garage is attached to the house, fire code requires those to be walls that are capable of containing the fire to the garage, This also has the unfortunate side effect of making it nearly impossible to have wireless signals travel through the wall efficiently, especially when dealing with non-router sourced wireless signals.

Are there any other obstacles or metal objects that could be affecting the signal? I would assume that the home base for the cameras is less powerful than the wireless signals given by your router, as such it may be possible to place your home base in your garage, and still have a better connection to your router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 435

Replies: 1