Questions on the DECO M5 system BEFORE Purchase

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-23 19:39:14 - last edited 2022-10-24 20:34:17
Tags: #Web Interface
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ?

Hello,

I'm starting to have some issues with my DLink router (needing constant reboots) and now considering upgrading to a MESH WiFi system.

The "Deco M5" seems to have some good reviews, large coverage area, and many features.

However, I do have some questions before I buy the DECO M5 system.
1st: Is there a WEB INTERFACE available to access the device from your local LAN? I DO prefer this method of admin... phone screens just aren't big enough!
2nd: If there IS a Web Interface, can ALL the same features be accessed and utilized as in th eAPP?
   * Are there more advanced features available using a Web Interface?
3rd: The install instructions seem to force the use of an APP to install the system.
   * Is this required?
   * Are you required to setup a Username & Password with TP-Link in the APP?
4th: Does this system require "cloud" interaction?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Questions on the DECO M5 system BEFORE Purchase-Solution
2022-10-24 15:47:51 - last edited 2022-10-24 20:34:17

@Lynster I have the same setup. 

1. Web interface does not have all the features as the app. You can reboot, see clients, change IGMP and WAN unicast, and access the log (web only).
  2. Setup requires the app, as your phone connects to it over bluetooth. I wasn't able to set this up with the computer. It made me use the app for the first time.
  3. Everything links to the cloud account. You login to the app through a username and password. Even when you access the router locally though the computer, it will ask you to login with your TP Link ID password (password you setup when registering your cloud account).

The setup is pretty solid, but it doesn't offer a lot of advanced features. This is meant for a basic mesh network setup, that is user friendly for non-tech users.

If you're not rowdy, you're not a router.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Questions on the DECO M5 system BEFORE Purchase-Solution
2022-10-24 15:47:51 - last edited 2022-10-24 20:34:17

@Lynster I have the same setup. 

1. Web interface does not have all the features as the app. You can reboot, see clients, change IGMP and WAN unicast, and access the log (web only).
  2. Setup requires the app, as your phone connects to it over bluetooth. I wasn't able to set this up with the computer. It made me use the app for the first time.
  3. Everything links to the cloud account. You login to the app through a username and password. Even when you access the router locally though the computer, it will ask you to login with your TP Link ID password (password you setup when registering your cloud account).

The setup is pretty solid, but it doesn't offer a lot of advanced features. This is meant for a basic mesh network setup, that is user friendly for non-tech users.

If you're not rowdy, you're not a router.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 325

Replies: 1

Tags

Web Interface
Related Articles