Getting Wi-Fi to detached metal garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-31 03:18:55 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:37:56

I have a detached metal building that I use as a shop. My signal just outside of the building is pretty decent, but is non existent inside. Even cell service is almost nonexistent inside of the building. I have an M5 Deco system with 3 units in the house that serves my entire yard area very well, just trying to figure out if I can just add another unit inside the detached building to get wifi out there.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Getting Wi-Fi to detached metal garage -Solution
2022-10-31 15:29:20 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:37:56

@MaxK51 To get Wi-Fi in your metal outbuilding:

Option #1:

Trench and bury a PVC pipe containing a Shielded Cat6 or better Ethernet Cable from your house out to the Metal Outbuilding.

Purchase an additional TP-Link Deco M5 for connection in the Outbuilding

Connect one end of the Ethernet to one Ethernet Port of a Deco M5 in the home. 

Configure and add this new Deco while in the proximity of your existing Deco Mesh.

Then, in the Outbuilding connect the other end to the Ethernet to the new Deco M5.

Option#2:

You will need some technical understanding of Wi-Fi Bridging. You will need to purchase a pair of TP-Link N300 CPE devices, either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2RO63U/?coliid=I5T77HBWIVVKU&colid=27J18KZ6WBXEZ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

These will be used to create a Point to Point network connection between your home and outbuilding.

Purchase an additional TP-Link Deco M5 for connection in the Outbuilding to have Wi-Fi inside the metal building. 

One of the N300 CPE devices will be connected to an Ethernet port at one of your existing Deco M5s. and mounted on the outside of your house.

The other N300 CPE device will be mounted on the Outbuilding. You will need to create an exact Sight line between the two devices.

They will be configured in Bridge mode pairing them into a solid 300Mbps network connection. 

The Ethernet from the CPE at the outbuilding will connect to the new Deco M5 and create an extension of your Wi-Fi inside the metal building.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Getting Wi-Fi to detached metal garage -Solution
2022-10-31 15:29:20 - last edited 2022-11-02 03:37:56

@MaxK51 To get Wi-Fi in your metal outbuilding:

Option #1:

Trench and bury a PVC pipe containing a Shielded Cat6 or better Ethernet Cable from your house out to the Metal Outbuilding.

Purchase an additional TP-Link Deco M5 for connection in the Outbuilding

Connect one end of the Ethernet to one Ethernet Port of a Deco M5 in the home. 

Configure and add this new Deco while in the proximity of your existing Deco Mesh.

Then, in the Outbuilding connect the other end to the Ethernet to the new Deco M5.

Option#2:

You will need some technical understanding of Wi-Fi Bridging. You will need to purchase a pair of TP-Link N300 CPE devices, either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2RO63U/?coliid=I5T77HBWIVVKU&colid=27J18KZ6WBXEZ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

These will be used to create a Point to Point network connection between your home and outbuilding.

Purchase an additional TP-Link Deco M5 for connection in the Outbuilding to have Wi-Fi inside the metal building. 

One of the N300 CPE devices will be connected to an Ethernet port at one of your existing Deco M5s. and mounted on the outside of your house.

The other N300 CPE device will be mounted on the Outbuilding. You will need to create an exact Sight line between the two devices.

They will be configured in Bridge mode pairing them into a solid 300Mbps network connection. 

The Ethernet from the CPE at the outbuilding will connect to the new Deco M5 and create an extension of your Wi-Fi inside the metal building.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Getting Wi-Fi to detached metal garage
2022-11-02 03:37:40

@DAServices 

I actually have all of these items in my Amazon cart right now, after sending in my question, I started researching wireless bridging, not knowing that it was really so affordable. I think that will be the perfect solution to my issue. Thanks for the helpful response.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 852

Replies: 2