Change a M5 main router to a new M9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-02 18:33:20 - last edited 2022-11-03 17:19:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need to add a couple more routers to my Deco network. My original network is three M5s and it is operating fine except I need to expand it with a couple more routers. I have ordered three new M9s and I understand it is best to make the main router a higher model - in my case my main router s/b a M9. So, here's my question. If I first simply add one M9 and get it operating in the mesh, could I then connect the M9 to the modem via Ethernet at the same time the original main router is still connected? My thought is to then make the new M9 the main and then disconnect the original main from the modem, but leaving it on the network. Is this doable?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change a M5 main router to a new M9-Solution
2022-11-02 19:14:16 - last edited 2022-11-03 17:19:52

@Molaker  I answered my own question since I was too impatient to wait for a response.

I installed my new M9 onto the newwork it settled down and was showing green, I connected a CAT5 cable from the modem to the M9 and then disconnected the old main Ethernet cable from the modem. It appears it was like it never happened. The new M9 main seems to be working fine. I'm going to guess, most of you knew what would happen, but as a greenhorn with this I wasn't sure. Thanks for listening to a noob.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Change a M5 main router to a new M9-Solution
2022-11-02 19:14:16 - last edited 2022-11-03 17:19:52

@Molaker  I answered my own question since I was too impatient to wait for a response.

I installed my new M9 onto the newwork it settled down and was showing green, I connected a CAT5 cable from the modem to the M9 and then disconnected the old main Ethernet cable from the modem. It appears it was like it never happened. The new M9 main seems to be working fine. I'm going to guess, most of you knew what would happen, but as a greenhorn with this I wasn't sure. Thanks for listening to a noob.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Change a M5 main router to a new M9
2022-11-03 07:39:44

@Molaker 

Hi, later you could try the suggestion here and It should be the correct steps for you in the very beginning.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/562204?replyId=1105698

As for the solutions you have found, how did you install Deco M9? I think you might do the first part of adding M9 plus as the satellite Mesh node, but did not switch it as the main Deco on the APP? However, Deco M9 is quite "smart" to spontaneously make itself the main Deco when it is connected to the modem.

Options
Re:Change a M5 main router to a new M9
2022-11-03 15:57:23

@Heidi_Alp Yes, I added the M9 as a satellite mesh node (still learning the lingo). Then I connected the M9 to the modem via CAT5. Nothing changed, but admittedly, I did not give it a lot of time, just enough to test the status. Then, I made the M9 the main router. As soon as I verified everything was working and the other mesh nodes were connected to the M9, I removed the CAT5 connection from the original M5 main and no change was noted. Everything works as advertised.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 326

Replies: 3

Related Articles