Unstable Wi-fi connectivity and speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-11 19:11:39
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.7 Build 20220613 rel.64828(4555)

This has been a problem before but now that we upgraded from 50/10 Mbps to 120/25 Mbps I have to figure out whats the problem.

We have a DSL connection which is 100% stable and on a PC I get constant 120/25 throughout the day but wi-fi is super inconsistent both on 2,4Ghz and 5GHz event when the connected device is in the same room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktGjcf2BWY

Here's a video of speed testing the wifi with my phone roughly 2 meters away from the router which is TP-Link Archer C6 (main router with PPPoE and VLAN ID) we have a TP-Link VR300 in bridge mode acting as an extender and shows the same behavior (Both on the newest firmware).

I tested this on my OnePlus 5, Galaxy A50 and LG G4 and other family members say the have similar problems with their devices.

It starts fast but then it deteriorates often to 0 Mbps and upload even lags completely. WEb pages often don't load and it's basically unusable.

I tried reseting the routers several times, changing wireless settings but nothing...

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unstable Wi-fi connectivity and speed
2022-11-12 14:40:27 - last edited 2022-11-12 14:40:37

@OnlyCORE 

How is the PC connected to the network?  Is it wired to the Archer C6 or is it using a port on the DSL modem?  If the PC is not connected to Archer C6, I would try replacing the cable from DSL modem to the Archer C6 as it is the common connection between all devices with the performance issue.  Bad cable can cause the issues you describe as they can introduce noisy electrical signals the effectively reduce transmission speeds.

Good luck.

Options
2022-11-12 16:36:32

@pcuttle PC is connected to a switch which is connected to the Archer C6. Cable connection is not a problem. Wifi is.

The layout goes something like this:

170a35f4ebb543b083b8baf757f79b6b

Options
2022-11-26 20:02:10

@OnlyCORE I had a different problem with my Archer C6 where the 2.4g radio messed with my WAN and dropped nearly all my ping packets, even when hardwired via ethernet. Turning off 2.4ghz radio seemed to fix it. Idk if it's acceptable to just turn off 2.4g for you, but troubleshooting step perhaps?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 434

Replies: 3

Related Articles