the desktop wont show the 5 ghz channel wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-16 03:51:40
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 build 20220714 rel.75573

i dont know what version i have.  i havent done the reboot.  just did the firmware.  made the desktop a priority client.  have it on two 2ghz and 5ghz due to some smart lights that wont work unless its like this.  dont really want to put on one network.  is there anything i can do to make the wireless desktop connect to the 5 ghz.  i am going to try the reboot after the chat 

Options
5 Reply
Re:the desktop wont show the 5 ghz channel wifi
2022-11-17 06:20:16

@cocotech 

You can try disabling smart connect on the router, then you can create different network names for the 2.4G and 5G networks, connect those support 5G frequency to the 5G network as you like, and leave those only support 2.4G to stay on the 2.4G.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-11-17 22:35:42 - last edited 2022-11-17 22:38:22

cocotech wrote

have it on two 2ghz and 5ghz due to some smart lights that wont work unless its like this.  dont really want to put on one network. 

@cocotech 

Sorry, but the above is not totally clear to me?

What do you have on 'two'?

Do you see 2 different SSID's or just one?

Is Smart Connect enabled? It sort of sounds like it is, but the maybe the 'Two' refers to you have Guest Network eanbled and therefore 4 different ID's?

Are you ask about Guest and Lan being TWO different LAN's? Each with 2 SSID's and they can't act as one LAN?

Of course your Subject Line is about your Desktop NOT seeing the 5Ghx SSID. What is the Desktop h/w and specifically the Network Adapter? Again, if Smart Connect IS on (enabled) you will only seen ONE SSID and it will be the 2.4Ghz SSID. The router will determine the band it goes on though. You can check what you are on with a Network Analyzer s/w program though.

Options
2022-11-17 23:18:42
no smart connect is not enabled because I need it to come up with two channels. i can see the two channels on all my other devices, laptop and phone but not desktop on wifi. the tech help said i need reboot the wifi and the internet modum so ill try that this weekend probably.
Options
2022-11-17 23:19:23

@Liverpool20 its disabled

Options
2022-11-18 14:14:42

cocotech wrote

i can see the two channels on all my other devices, laptop and phone but not desktop on wifi.

@cocotech 

This indicates to me that the DESKTOP is the problem?

So, what IS the Desktop and what IS the Network adapter in it? Is it capable of seeing the 5Ghz signal?

Where IS the Desktop located in relation to the Router's location?

If you look here for instance, 8ad79c35e9ce4107aeef7b43585ac9e4(I can't post the link, TP-Link doesn't allow links off thier site) you'll find some help on the range of the SSID's. From it, this:

==============

A general rule of thumb in home networking says that Wi-Fi routers operating on the 2.4 GHz band can reach up to 150 feet indoors and 300 feet outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of these distances. Newer 802.11n and 802.11ac routers that operate on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands reach greater distances.

Because it uses narrower wavelengths, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection is more susceptible to obstructions than 2.4 GHz connections, and so will usually have a slightly shorter effective range, typically, 10 to 15 feet shorter.

==============

Basically the 2.4Ghz SSID will be stronger at distance from the router that the 5Ghz SSID. At some point it might not even be there? However, the 5Ghz generally is stronger than the 2.4Ghz SSID until it drops off as longer distances from the router.

Possible that this is why you can't see it, especially if in your case the 2.4Ghz SSID is on the weak side and is slower in speed than on other devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 269

Replies: 5