X55 won’t connect to modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-16 14:14:46
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Having internet troubles this morning. I have already contacted my ISP and reset my modem. Connecting my computer directly to the modem gives me Internet. Connecting my Deco X55 to the modem to begin creating Wi-Fi does not connect to the Internet. I have reset the Deco X55 multiple times and it's light is still solid red meaning no Internet. I have searched the website for a how-to and found nothing. Is there a technical support number I can call? All I see is an email address. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:X55 won’t connect to modem
2022-11-16 19:15:38

@JamieD-MN,

This sounds like your ISP or modem is saving the MAC address of the device connected to the unit. This will result in the exact behavior that you are describing, with the PC being able to connect while your router cannot.

We have an FAQ on the topic available here: What is MAC Cloning

All of our Live Support Options can be found here. with their numbers listed at the bottom of the page: TP-Link Live Support

Options
2022-12-30 18:04:01

@Riley_S I just purchased a new Deco AX3000 X55 system and was disappointed to run into this problem.   It really shouldn't care what the MAC address is.  I was using Google WiFi mesh, so I entered the Google Wifi wireless MAC address into the DECO and it finally got internet access.    (Interesting that I had to try 3 options to enter the MAC address - without separators, with colons, and finally with dashes.  It kept telling me the address was invalid until I used dashes, which is unlike anywhere else I have seen MAC addresses.)  Anyway, it finally got internet access, but could not do DNS naming resolution.   My other routers automatically pick the DNS servers up from Comcast when registering.  I figure that I could enter DNS servers somewhere to fix this, but then I also saw that the Guest network cannot be named.    I have all of my IOT devices on a named guest network COLORNEW.  The DECO only supports a name of GUEST.   I am NOT going to reconfigure all of my smart switches and sockets, which would be required to change the name of the network they are on.   So I am returning the units.

Options
2022-12-30 21:04:44
Fyi - I am a big fan of TP-Link Kasa smart plugs and light switches. They are much easier to configure and keep working with Alexa than Belkin Wemo. I had high expectations for the wifi mesh system.
Options
2023-01-04 01:00:55

@bigdaddy2,

Im not going to pretend why certain ISPs require MAC cloning for the router to work; however I believe that it will technically refresh the MAC when the Modem is disconnected from the network for a longer period of time like 10 minutes, this is why its recommended to unplug the modem before configuring a new router. 

Can you double-check and verify that you cannot change the name of the guest network, our FAQ on the topic states that it can be changed from the settings for the Guest Network: Setting Up a Guest Network on Deco

There are also fields to change the DNS server that is being used in the Deco App:

How to change the DNS settings on Deco

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 974

Replies: 4