Deco Dropping Connection to Cable Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-19 22:10:07
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2

My Deco was connected to an Altice cable modem from Optimum.  We had tons of problems with flaky internet connectivity.  I really complained to Optimum and got them to come out to my house 3 different times to try to figure out the problem.  They tested all of the equipment from the pole outside to the Altice modem.  We disabled the wireless router on the Altice device and then configured it as a bridge rather than a router.  Nothing worked.  Finally, my husband suggest that we turn off the Deco.  Before removing the Deco, I tried to modify what few settings that I could in the Deco management console but the options available were quite limited.  Disconnecting the Deco really was a last ditch attempt to try to get some sort of usable internet connectivity.  Now, we've been connecting to the internet directly through the Altice cable modem for 2 months without a single drop in connectivity.  I really want to use the Deco but my family will mutiny if we start having flaky internet again. 

Is there a cable modem compatibility list for the Deco X90?  Has anyone experienced this type of problem?  Any ideas for what could be causing the Deco to consistently drop connectivity to the cable modem?  I cannot switch ISPs because, right now, Optimum is literally the only provider in our area.  Thanks!   

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco Dropping Connection to Cable Modem
2022-11-21 21:32:43

@Gonzo1873,

Our networking products are tested to work with all major ISP providers. Looking at the compatible modems for Optimum, there should be no incompatibilities.

Were the Deco's Connected in AP mode while the bridge mode on the modem/router combo(Gateway) was enabled?

If the Decos were in their normal operation mode, you would have had a setup with two routers on the network, which would result in frequent dropouts and issues. Unfortunately, when the Decos are place in AP mode a lot of management and parental control features are lost, as the Gateway from your ISP will be managing the traffic on the network. The deco units also have a limited WebUI, so if you were connecting via a browser, you would not see all the management options available, you would have to download the Deco app to see every setting available.

Options