Gigabit Hardwire Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Gigabit Hardwire Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Gigabit Hardwire Speeds
Gigabit Hardwire Speeds
2022-11-21 11:01:58

I purchased this like a year ago.  Been playing with it on and off.   Ive had Unifi In place forever now.   finally decided to give TP Link a shot so I ran my internet connection directly to the TP Link and took out my unifi stuff.   My understanding is the AX21 / 1800 can handle a 1 Gig Internet connection but Ive also seen reports where it can't.   I realize over wireless Ill never achieve those speeds but if Im paying for a gig I should atleast get it over the wire right?    Im getting Mid 700's now.   Is it not posible to get to thaat 900 / 1 Gig marker with this router?  Theres always something better I know but should this model be capable of doing what I need?   

Options
6 Reply
Re:Gigabit Hardwire Speeds
2022-11-21 19:24:15

@kpayton2022,

You are correct in that you wouldn't be able to get those speeds over a wireless connection. A wired connection should be able to pull much larger speeds than a wireless connection. While it may not be a full 1000 down, I would believe that your wired connections can receive more than 700

Are you able to test the speed at your modem to make sure that you are receiving your full speeds from your ISP? Did your unifi report the whole speed previously?

I would recommend finding the QoS settings for your router and either turn them off, or set the QoS manually to a speed that is at or above the speed that is expected from your ISP. I would also recommend changing the DNS server to see if it improves the connection quality and speed.

Options
2022-11-21 19:41:42

@Riley_S I put a call in with my ISP because even coming directly from the wall (No ISP modem needed - RJ 45 at the wall) I get maybe 600-700 down.   So in short Im getting the same result from the wall to a personal pc without TP Link anywhere in the mix.   My Unifi equipment was getting 800-900 prior to my TP Link Install.   However this morning as a test I went ahead and hooked up my Unifi equipment and I got int he 700's again which is pretty in line with what TP Line is offering up.

So what is the difference in the stronger TP Link models?   I don't have an issue with coverage in the house I pretty much have max signal where ever I go.   

I haven't broken out the wireless networks (2.4 vs 5 Ghz)  Really didn't want to do that since I have multiple cameras But I could make my primary SSID the 2.4 and the new one something different couldnt I?   I may have answered my own question as Im typing this :)   Also I have individual priorities setup as in high priority traffic Im assuming if I disable QOS its going to break that correct?

Options
2022-11-21 19:58:27

@kpayton2022,

You can break out the networks in a few ways if you wanted to, you can turn smart connect off, and have the same SSIDs/password, and your device should automatically roam between the best bands. smart Connect does this function for you, directing devices toward the band with the strongest signal.

Whenever you are approaching the maximum connection speeds, you are also approaching the maximum that the router can handle. Using a more powerful router means that your router will be better equipped to handle situations that require more bandwidth. There is a falloff of gains that can be achieved when approaching a router's maximum throughput. With newer Wifi 6e and 7 routers, the network becomes far more efficient at handling communications and can reduce latency and increase the overall possible bandwidth. There are also additional bandwidths of the 6Ghz range that become available to devices with these newer generations of Wi-Fi.

I believe that the QoS setting will interfere with the priority device settings, that is why I recommended setting it manually if possible. QoS is really meant for slower than 300mbps connections, as there is a higher possibility of the entire bandwidth being used at once. With higher speeds, there is actually potential for it to slow your connection, even though your bandwidth can support the total needed.

Options
2022-11-21 20:02:23

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the information.  Im wondering if I need to upgrade the router at some point.   I have approx 5 Wyze Cameras and all of our televisions do Hulu for streaming television services.  I know those services won't exceed the bandwidth Im even hitting now.   My main point to this thread was to ensure my current router can accomodate the 1 Gig speed.   When I look at both CPU and memory on the router itself Im low to half but not exceeding half on either bench mark.   

Thank you again for your responses.  Very much appreciated

Options
2022-11-21 21:37:32

@kpayton2022,

Just for your information, that CPU usage is probably only considering the traffic currently passing through the network. If I recall correctly, speed tests are calculated using a few packets, and may not be intensive for the router to handle. The memory and CPU usage may only show a spike when there is a steady stream of traffic going through the router.

Because you have 5 wireless cameras that will be using the 2.4 Ghz band, I would recommend setting up the guest network on your router and placing your cameras on that network. This would make it so that your normal devices will not have to compete with the bandwidth being used by the cameras. Some of our newer routers allow users to create an additional SSID that is used for IoT devices so that this congestion doesn't occur.

Options
2022-11-28 22:06:42

Sorry - Reviving an old thread - So still on this mountain trying to battle my ISP.   They came out today and hooked up an instrument to the jack.   It read approx 900 Mbps.   They said themachine was not capable of doing 1 Gig.  Nice right?   

So right now Im getting approximately 680 to low 700's down and 550 Up.   I plugged in my USG 3 and I was able to hang at 750 down.   SO.. My question - why the difference?   keep in mine this was Internet to USG 3 to Laptop.   SO no other devices on network. 

My concern is Im trying to get 1 Gig Down.   My ISP is already jerking me around saying Im not using their approved equipment blah blah.   So far the TP Link has been doing GREAT!!! My cameras are popping and everything is working flawless.   My issue is strictly mental.  If Im paying for 1 Gig I want the 1 Gig Speeds.. Not 725/750 or whatever.   The TP Link should be able to grab that speed right?  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 356

Replies: 6

Related Articles