DNS keep drop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DNS keep drop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DNS keep drop
DNS keep drop
2022-11-21 22:52:14
Tags: #DNS
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20220407 Rel. 69134

Hi Everyone,

I  hope i can find a solution here.

I am a new user with Deco x50 and the issue is DNS connection.

My internet connection keep drop so I assume it`s internet connection but it`s not.

I can continually ping 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 but ping www.google.com or any website name couldn't ping.

I mainly use Chrome browser and tested others but all same issue.

I tried to setup DNS manually on Deco and my laptop network card as well.

I tried a few cmd commends but it couldn't fix it.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release & renew

ipconfig /registerdns

reinstall network card driver and updated bios..

I tried to packet capture by wiredshark but couldn't figure it out.

I didn't have this issue before but it happened after replace my old modem to Deco x50.

Can someone please advise? Thansks in advance!! 

Options
4 Reply
Re:DNS keep drop
2022-11-21 23:35:38

@n5wuser,

Do you still have a modem in between your ISP and your Deco Router? A modem is still required for a connection, it is just that your previous hardware was most likely operating as BOTH a router and modem. This is either rented from your ISP, or you will need to purchase one outright. If you have the previous hardware, you can look to see if you can enable passthrough or bridge mode on the device, which would essentially make the device operate as only a modem.

If you do have a modem, you can change the DNS server settings from the app on your phone to a different DNS server such as Google's or Cloudflare to see if it is more successful. Otherwise, I would recommend removing the Deco from the network and attaching your PC directly into the modem and seeing if the issue persists. It is definitely strange that you are able to successfully ping servers, but it cannot resolve the name.

Options
2022-11-22 00:04:43
Hi Riley, Thank you for the advice. I am from Australia and I use fibre NBN modem from ISP and it is directly connected to the Deco. The NBN fibre modem is not able to be configured by user so it is simply plugged into the WAN port on the Deco and it is set up as PPPoE. I mentioned earlier, I replaced the modem it means the NBN to the modem and I replaced the modem to Deco. Please let me know if you need further info. Thanks in advance!!
Options
2022-11-22 00:14:37

@Riley_S 

Please refer I  use NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial connection. Thanks.

Options
2022-11-22 17:39:31 - last edited 2022-11-22 17:40:33

@n5wuser,

That makes more sense now. The Deco X50 wasn't actually released in the US, so I was curious as to why you had one.

I would recommend taking a look at the resources provided by the AU website as there is additional info that we don't normally know about. For example, NBN Compatible Device Checker. Your Deco is there btw.

I also found this walkthrough which mentions that there are a few settings that you should ensure are disabled when setting up an NBN connection with Deco.

How to set up TP-Link Deco for NBN FTTC

Otherwise, I would recommend posting to the Global EN forums to see if any other international users can help you get connected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 298

Replies: 4

Tags

DNS
Related Articles